GLOBAL: Anheuser-Busch InBev adds pressure to FIFA over Qatar allegations
A-B InBev is a leading sponsor of the World Cup
Anheuser-Busch InBev has added itself to the list of FIFA World Cup sponsors concerned about allegations of corruption during the selection process for the 2022 tournament in Qatar.
The Budweiser brewer yesterday (9 June) released a statement stating that it is “concerned about the situation” and is monitoring developments. The firm also said it “expects FIFA to take all necessary steps to address the issue”.
A-B InBev, whose Budweiser brand is the only alcohol sponsor of the World Cup, joins The Coca-Cola Co, Adidas, Visa, Sony and BP in pressing FIFA to tackle the corruption allegations. The sponsors spoke out following revelations in a UK newspaper regarding a former FIFA member and his alleged links to the successful Qatar 2022 bid.
Coca-Cola said in a statement on Sunday: “Anything that detracts from the mission and ideals of the FIFA World Cup is a concern to us, but we are confident that FIFA is taking these allegations very seriously and is investigating them thoroughly.”
The World Cup kicks off in Sao Paulo, Brazil, on Thursday. Both A-B InBev and Coca-Cola have launched extensive marketing campaigns ahead of the tournament.
The cider/perry market has witnessed phenomenal developments in the last ten years, making it the World's fastest-growing alcoholic drinks category, in volume terms....
There was general agreement among analysts that Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q1 results yesterday were better than expected....
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- William Grant upgrades Glenfiddich Cask Collection
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends