BRAZIL: AmBev to launch soft drink in US while seeking mineral water experience
The third largest beverage company in the world Ambev, is to start testing its second best selling soft drink, Guarana, in the US within the next three months.According to Ambev chief executive Magim Rodgriguez in an interview with Dow Jones Newswires, the first tests will be in a US city yet to be determined but: "I see enormous potential."Rodgriguez continued to say that Pepsi would have the rights to market Guarana Antartica in countries where Ambev doesn't run operations.Famous for its stimulant and even aphrodisiac properties Guarana is a berry that grows wild in the Amazon jungle and, as a soft drink the guarana seed extract is blended with various citric tropical fruits. Meanwhile, Ambev and Danone are still in talks to decide how the Salus partnership, due to be finalised in 60 days will work and who will run the beer and mineral water Uruguayan firm."The joint venture has a strategic aspect. We team up with Danone and see if we can learn about water. We are determined to enter the water business firmly," said Rodgriguez.Fratelli Vita, Ambev's water brand has never really taken off and according to Rodgriguez the biggest problem facing them is taxation. Apparently there are many small water companies that dodge taxes and therefore gain unfair price competitiveness.Rodgriguez continued by saying: "But I think the country is maturing and the government is seriously committed to fighting tax evasion."
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Is the wine industry confusing its consumers?
- AB InBev to sell SABMiller Cent'l, E Europe assets
- Private equity poised for SABMiller Europe buy?
- Remy Cointreau names new Travel Retail exec
- Leonardo DiCaprio joins Runa drinks board
- Pernod Ricard to widen Our/Vodka sales reach
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carbonates in India
- Consumer and Market Insights: Spirits Market in the US