BRAZIL: AmBev to launch soft drink in US while seeking mineral water experience
The third largest beverage company in the world Ambev, is to start testing its second best selling soft drink, Guarana, in the US within the next three months.According to Ambev chief executive Magim Rodgriguez in an interview with Dow Jones Newswires, the first tests will be in a US city yet to be determined but: "I see enormous potential."Rodgriguez continued to say that Pepsi would have the rights to market Guarana Antartica in countries where Ambev doesn't run operations.Famous for its stimulant and even aphrodisiac properties Guarana is a berry that grows wild in the Amazon jungle and, as a soft drink the guarana seed extract is blended with various citric tropical fruits. Meanwhile, Ambev and Danone are still in talks to decide how the Salus partnership, due to be finalised in 60 days will work and who will run the beer and mineral water Uruguayan firm."The joint venture has a strategic aspect. We team up with Danone and see if we can learn about water. We are determined to enter the water business firmly," said Rodgriguez.Fratelli Vita, Ambev's water brand has never really taken off and according to Rodgriguez the biggest problem facing them is taxation. Apparently there are many small water companies that dodge taxes and therefore gain unfair price competitiveness.Rodgriguez continued by saying: "But I think the country is maturing and the government is seriously committed to fighting tax evasion."
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part II
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- Heineken's new range foreshadows craft's future
- Gruppo Campari Q4 & FY 2016 results - Preview
- Will fat-blocking products save the day for CSDs?
- Diageo faces US$68m payout after SAP court loss
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Wm Grant names Victor Jerez business director
- Heineken hit by Greek compensation claim
- Bacardi takes stake in Ilegal Mezcal
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends