BRAZIL/CANADA: AmBev sells Bavaria to Canada's Molson Inc.
AmBev - Companhia de Bebidas das Americas (NYSE: ABV) announces that on Nov. 6, it concluded negotiations to sell the Bavaria S/A company to Canada's Molson Inc. The divestiture of the Bavaria brand and five plants was a condition made by the "Conselho Administrativo de Defesa Economica" - Cade (Administrative Council for Economic Defense) on March 30 to secure the approval for the merger between the Antarctica and Brahma breweries. In addition to this, AmBev will have to share its Antarctica retail distribution network with Molson.Molson purchased Bavaria for US$213 million, of which US$98 million was paid upon the business conclusion and the remaining amount is conditioned upon the company's performance. The business includes the selling of two former Antarctica plants in Ribeirao Preto, Sao Paulo and Getulio Vargas, Rio Grande do Sul and three Brahma plants in Cuiaba, Mato Grosso; Manaus, Amazonas; and Camacari, Bahia. All of these units received during the last few months, investments of R$17 million, and are currently fully operational and already making the Bavaria beer. The Ribeirao Preto unit, which already had a bottle production line, started up a can production line, to comply with the Cade's ruling.In order to make both the brand and the selling of assets feasible, AmBev has incorporated the Bavaria S/A company, which is being handed to the purchaser without financial liabilities. Bavaria S/A has an installed capacity to make 7 million hectoliters. Molson is Canada's largest brewery, holding a 45% share of the market.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 15 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Are we kidding ourselves over craft spirits?
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Diageo, Treasury Wine Estates quiet on wine sale
- Former Pernod Ricard exec joins Wakefield Wines
- Inver House Distillers posts FY profits leap
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research