FRANCE: Alize director placed in custody
The director of L & L, the French company known for its Cognac-based cocktail Alizé, has been taken into police custody this week in Bordeaux.
As of yesterday (26 June), the 58-year-old Jean-Paul Lafragette was reported to be in temporary police detention in the nearby city of Angouleme.
Lafragette, who has been under investigation for misappropriation of funds at L & L, which is 49%-owned by the New York-based Kobrand Corporation, was suspended last year as managing director of the company.
The original case against Lafragette was brought last year by the Kopf family, owners of Kobrand, in relation to the alleged misappropriation of over EUR1m (US$1.6m). It is now understood, however, that there are other charges relating to other business dealings adding up to about EUR10m.
Lafragette was taken to prison in Bordeaux from his home at Chateau Rouillac on Tuesday, and was moved to Angouleme after a court hearing yesterday.
Neither economic gloom nor the presence of an illustrious neighbour appear to be overshadowing Armagnac, France's less well known brandy denomination. Chris Losh found the region's producers to be in ...
Pernod Ricard has signed a deal with Norway's Arcus Gruppen to sell several drinks brands acquired as part of its takeover of Vin & Sprit....
Global shipments of cognac were up 3.1% last month, thanks to a surge in the US, according to the region's trade body, BNIC....
Central European Distribution Organisation, the wine and spirits group, has said it has signed a deal to refinance its short-term debt, enabling it to continue investing in key growth markets....
Beam Global Spirits & Wine, the drinks division of Fortune Brands, has appointed communications veterans Paula Erickson and Dan Cohen to its team....
Tilaknagar Industries has lined up the construction of a new distillery in the Maharashtra region of India, according to local reports....
William Grant's & Sons has played down reports of a boycott of its products in Cognac, following the company's decision to close its brandy production facility in the French region....
Maxxium UK is launching a "festive" campaign for its Champagne cognac brand Rémy Martin's VSOP in the UK....
- AB InBev, SABMiller - Here's what'll happen next
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- AB InBev makes formal offer for SABMiller
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Diageo makes US$780.5m beer deal with Heineken
- SABMiller formally rejects AB InBev's offer
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research