UK: AG Barr lines up GBP12m Commonwealth Games campaign
The campaign will include Barr's Rubicon brand
AG Barr has announced a GBP12m (US$20m) advertising campaign ahead of Glasgow's 2014 Commonwealth Games.
The campaign, Barr's biggest multi-brand marketing spend, will roll out across the UK in the run-up to the July event, Barr said today (17 January). It will focus on Barr brands Irn Bru, Strathmore Water, Rubicon and Barr Cola, all of which are official beverages of the games.
“Our marketing activity will enable retailers to use AG Barr brands on their soft drinks fixture for six months to engage shoppers and harness the excitement that is already building around this memorable sporting occasion,” said Adrian Troy, AG Barr’s head of marketing.
Barr said the 11-day games, with an estimated 42m global viewers, is an opportunity to boost soft drinks sales as it can create a “feel-good factor” in the UK. The company said the London Olympics in 2012 drove a 10% increase in the category, outperforming all other drinks categories.
Full details of the latest campaign have not yet been released, but Barr said it will include “Cheer We Go”, an on-pack Irn Bru promotion that will offer consumers the chance to win tickets to the games.
In September, the company reported that its failed merger attempt with UK rival Britvic had dented first half profits.
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- Is there a future for the global beer brand?
- How soft drinks can win big with adult consumers
- Global director int'l brands, Heineken - Interview
- Non-Scotch Whisky Essentials, Part I
- The UK Referendum - just-drinks Live Blog
- Absolut rebound paints rosy picture for Pernod
- SABMiller confirms price paid for Meantime
- Aldi dealt alcohol sales blow in Australia
- Maxxium eyes US$1.4bn opportunity in UK spirits
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends