Update - UK: AG Barr latest to eye stevia drinks
AG Barr has welcomed the EU stevia clearance
AG Barr has said that it is looking at stevia as a potential new product ingredient, following the European Commission's formal approval of the sweetener for use within the European Union.
This week, the European Commission publicly approved stevia-based sweeteners for use in the 27 EU states, after months of examining the safety of natural sweeteners derived from the stevia plant.
UK soft drinks firm AG Barr, along with much of the soft drinks industry, has welcomed the decision. "We are looking at stevia as a potential new product ingredient along with the rest of the industry," a spokesperson told just-drinks today (17 November).
The Union of European Soft Drinks Associations (UNESDA) said the approval will provide the industry with “a wider repertoire” for offering additional variety and choice in soft drinks.
“Stevia’s approval for use in the EU will allow the beverages sector to innovate to deliver new products,” said UNESDA's secretary general, Alain Beaumont. “With this additional option for delivering sweetness we expect to see even further growth in the low- and mid-calorie varieties.”
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard Q1 2017 results by region, brand
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Constellation sells Canadian wine unit for US$761m
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Pernod Ricard cheers US move to ease Cuban limits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020