UK: AG Barr, Britvic bullish over merger prospects despite competition probe
The proposed merger could yet still happen
The GBP1.5bn (US$2.4bn) merger, first announced in November, hit a stumbling block yesterday (13 February) when the UK's Office of Fair Trading said it had referred the deal to the Competition Commission. The OFT said that it has competition concerns over some brands, which could mean higher prices for consumers.
But, in a joint statement today (14 February), the companies argued that the deal "will not result in a substantial lessening of competition" and they will be able to prove that to the Competition Commission.
The groups said they want to work with the commission with "a view to seeking clearance of the proposed merger".
"A.G. Barr and Britvic consider there to be compelling rationale for clearance," the companies said.
The Competition Commission's investigation is expected to take around six months.
Barr and Britvic's board will have to reconsider the deal if it receives clearance.
However, the statement added: "There can be no certainty or assurance that, following such clearance, any such merger would be forthcoming or that any offer will be made by either A.G. Barr or Britvic."
To read an analyst's take on the situation, click here
Although AG Barr was on its way to the church earlier this month, Britvic was still having second thoughts. The end of the affair leads Richard Corbett to ponder what went wrong for the two and what h...
- Mahou San Miguel - just the Facts
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- A game of two halves for Remy Cointreau - Analysis
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- Britvic hits make-or-break time for US Fruit Shoot
- Beam Suntory to sell brandy & sherry to Emperador
- Former Diageo exec joins William Grant in LatAm
- Carlsberg "most likely" to buy Grolsch, Peroni
- A-B InBev mulls sale of Peroni, Grolsch - report
- A-B InBev embroiled in Caribbean "poison-pill" row
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Market 2015-2019
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts