US: ABA counters calls for 'safe' sugar limits on soft drinks
The CSPI is urging action on sugar levels in soda
Calls have come for the US Government to set a "safe level" for added sugars in soft drinks, prompting a defence from an industry trade body.
The Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI) launched a 54-page petition with the US Food and Drug Administration today (13 February) urging it to establish a safe limit on high-fructose corn syrup and other sugars in beverages. The group argued that "unsafe" levels of sugars in drinks is causing obesity, diabetes, heart disease, and other health problems.
In a press conference today, a CSPI representative said it recognised that sugar is not a toxin, but added: "It's the over-consumption that is par for the course in the US that we are concerned about."
However, the American Beverage Association said in a statement: "Everyone has a role to play in reducing obesity levels - a fact completely ignored in this petition. This is why the beverage industry has worked to increase options and information for consumers."
It flagged that around 45% of all soft drinks purchased in the US have zero calories and the "overall average number of calories per serving is down 23% since 1998".
In the US, the soft drinks industry is facing increasing scrutiny as concerns over obesity grow. New York City is seeking to ban the sale of large high-sugar soft drinks. Last month the Coca-Cola Co launched a TV ad addressing the issue of obesity, admitting it has an "important role" to play in the fight against the problem.
The Coca-Cola Co (TCCC) is the leading player in both soft drinks and in HW soft drinks. The company’s strength is based on its diversity of category presence from HW carbonates to RTD tea and bottled...
Consumption of fruit/vegetable juice declined in 2012 in both the off-trade and on-trade channels. Off-trade volume sales of fruit/vegetable juice fell by 5% in 2012; a third consecutive year of decli...
FEMSA is the leading bottling company for The Coca-Cola Co in Mexico and globally. The company also manages a large retailing division under the OXXO brand with over 10,000 stores across the country a...
Cía Servicios de Bebidas Refrescantes, the local bottler of The Coca-Cola Co, has overcome difficulties derived from the economic recession to resist the constant pressure from private label, in most ...
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA president
- Interview - William Grant & Sons
- Beckham, Diageo and the Allure of the VIP Pop-Up
- just The Preview - Brown-Forman Q3 & YTD
- Diageo, Beckham launch VIP pop-up for Haig Club
- Diageo completes Don Julio, Bushmills swap deal
- Pernod Ricard sends Martell Mumm PJ head to Asia
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Pinnacle Vodka, Skinnygirl roll out on ice
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research