July/August 2010 Management Briefing: The Private Label Drinks Market
This month's management briefing for just-drinks' members looks in depth at the private label drinks market around the world.
Private-label drinks sales make major progress Private-label drinks sales in supermarkets worldwide are no longer the poor relation of commercial ‘national’ brands – cheap drinks for consumers caring little about taste and brand image. A good place to examine this trend is the US, whose private-label offerings have often lagged behind those in Europe.
Tesco and Sainsbury's show how to exploit drinks private labels The success of Tesco and Sainsbury’s private-label drinks products in the UK cannot be denied. In a time when many companies are tightening their belts and streamlining their product mix, these supermarket retailers are expanding their own-label (to use the standard UK term) drinks range – and consumers are benefiting.
Retailers benefit from quality private-label drinks reputation What is the attraction of drinks’ own brands or private labels for the retailers? After all, if consumers are happy with commercial ‘national’ brands then retailers can make money. “They exist because supermarkets are trying to build their supermarket values and their own relationship with their customers,” says Richard Hall, chairman and founder of international food and drink consultants Zenith International.
A wealth of data on the private-label drinks market.
In keeping with many other parts of the world, the US has a steadily expanding market for private label foods and drinks. Although it has been slower to gain a foothold compared with European nations such as the UK, more US consumers are now turning towards private label foods in the face of the economic downturn. This chapter of just-drinks' July/August management briefing is an exclusive extract from the just-food report: The US private label food market – forecasts to 2013.
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- just The Facts - The Global Wine Industry
- Comment - A New Age of VR Marketing?
- CCE head shines light on price talks
- Interview: Head brewer at Hall & Woodhouse
- Diageo considers wine operations sale
- Bacardi opens Dewar’s Travel Retail whisky store
- NPD: Bacardi's Bacardi Carta Fuego
- A-B InBev approves new chairman
- Innis & Gunn looks to build first brewery
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research