Round-Up - Mexico's Beer Market Ruling
After a three-year investigation, Mexico's competition authorities announced the results of its probe into allegations of monopolistic practices in the country's brewing sector. Heineken and Anheuser-Busch InBev-owned Grupo Modelo seem satisfied, but the complainant - SABMiller - less so. Read just-drinks' full round-up of coverage here
Mexico's competition watchdog has handed down its resolution to SABMiller's charges of monopolistic practices in the country's brewing sector.
Grupo Modelo is likely to be worse affected than its rival Heineken by the opening up of Mexico's beer market, according to an analyst.
SABMiller subsidiary, Miller Trading Company, has hit out at Mexico's competition authorities arguing its settlement with two rival brewers does not go far enough and still leaves the country's beer market “anti-competitive”.
Just how good are Heineken and Anheuser-Busch InBev at sticking to their commitments? That's the question SABMiller will be asking itself this week after Mexico's competition authorities finally answered the brewer's long-standing plea to review its rivals' alleged monopolising of the country's beer market.
Heineken's ability to profit from FEMSA Cerveza could be weakened after SABMiller succeeded in persuading Mexico's competition authority to consider changing the rules of the game in the country's beer market.
SABMiller has sparked a fresh Government investigation into "monopolistic practices" in Mexico's beer industry, but analysts believe the move is unlikely to damage leading brewers FEMSA Cerveza and Grupo Modelo.
- How the can has a part to play in beer's future
- The Future of Cocktails - Consumer Trends
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Will Brexit make a winner out of Travel Retail?
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Diageo reveals revival plan for former factory
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- Jose Cuervo applies to go public
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends