Editor's Viewpoint - BrewDog Chooses a More Suitable Target
Well, it appears that BrewDog's addiction to controversy is alive and (un)well. But, at least, the UK company's latest move has a more valid – albeit slightly bigger and more frightening – target in its sights.
In the six years that we've been reporting on the craft brewer, I've always been taken aback by its machinations. As well as its regular run-ins with UK alcohol industry body The Portman Group (the company's first appearance on just-drinks!), BrewDog has also caused a rumpus with its attempts to produce stronger and stronger beers. Then there was the extraordinary, and extra-public spat with Diageo – although BrewDog certainly had a valid point there.
I've always found the company's provocative approach to its beers and their marketing to be more a case of rattling the cage for the sake of it, rather than an innovative, exciting approach to engaging with its public and – more importantly – its peers. Was this petulance all we were ever going to get?
Hopefully, that petulance ends today, with the launch of Hello My Name is Vladimir, BrewDog's latest understated beer. The product, which still packs a punch at 8.2%, is a 'protest beer', which is highlighting the endorsement of anti-homosexual laws implemented in Russia last year by its president, Vladimir Putin.
“This beer is our first foray into controversy with a cause greater than our own,” said BrewDog today.
Finally; a cause I can sign up to. Enough with the inter-industry and the Portman Group baiting, I say.
Just don't expect Russian sales to take off anytime soon.
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- Comment - Will We Understand the Language of Rum?
- Is Diageo on the Brink of a Brain Drain?
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- Remy Cointreau US head to step down
- Pernod Ricard unveils Havana Club ad campaign
- BrewDog launches GBP25m crowd-funding attempt
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets