just Five Years Ago
Every month we look back at what was making the headlines five years ago. What happened? Why? And, where are they now?
Five years ago this month, Diageo signed a deal to take a controlling stake in China's Sichuan Chengdu Quanxing Group, the company behind the baijiu brand Shuijingfang.
Five years ago this week, French wine and spirits group Belvédère was embroiled in legal proceedings with creditors over the amount of debt it owed. Since then, the firm - which has Bruce Willis as a minority shareholder - has endured a roller coaster of fortunes in its bid to stay afloat.
Five years ago this month, Constellation Brands spoke publicly about its plans for its Australian wine business.
Five years ago, Heineken announced it was cutting 140 jobs in Russia, with the suspension of brewing at one of its sites. The news came just weeks after the Dutch firm had revealed plans for another closure in the country.
Monster Beverage Corp is set to boost its global standing on a significant scale after agreeing a deal with the Coca-Cola Co earlier this month.
Private-equity firm Kohlberg Kravis Roberts (KKR) was revealed in May to have had a bid for Treasury Wine Estates knocked back.
The Republic of Ireland has long been tagged, for good or bad, as being a hard-drinking nation. The charity Alcohol Action Ireland claims that Irish adults "binge-drink" more than any of their European compatriots.
Five years ago, the Coca-Cola Co signalled its first move to take a chunk of UK smoothie producer Innocent. The stake purchase would eventually lead, four years later, to Innocent giving up 100% of the company to the US soft drinks giant.
It's been five years since Constellation Brands offloaded a large chunk of its spirits interests by selling its “value” portfolio to Sazerac Company for US$334m.
Five years ago this month, reports started to emerge that Pernod Ricard was looking to offload its coffee liqueur brand Tia Maria.
Five years ago this week talk of Diageo taking a stake in United Spirits first emerged. It set in train a series of events that this year saw the Smirnoff producer secure control of the Indian spirits firm.
Around five years ago this week, a group of US-based scientists called on all energy drinks producers to include warning labels highlighting the amount of caffeine contained in their products.
Five years ago this week, the US was forecast to become the world's largest wine-consuming market by 2010.
Five years ago this week, it emerged that Bacardi had agreed to acquire a minority stake in premium Tequila producer Patron Spirits.
Five years ago this month, the global beer world changed forever. After a shorter-than-anticipated period of wrangling, US brewer Anheuser-Busch accepted a US$52bn takeover bid from Belgium brewer InBev, thus creating the world's biggest brewer.
- Pernod Ricard 's first-half results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard's H1 performance by region - Focus
- Heineken's FY performance by region - Focus
- Forget Baby Boomers at your peril - Consumer Trend
- Carlsberg's full-year performance by region
- Asahi Group lines up Grolsch, Meantime, Peroni buy
- Pernod Ricard targets US through unit, exec switch
- William Grant & Sons' Ailsa Bay - NPD
- SABMiller's Europe chief to join Britvic board
- Asahi Group to buy Grolsch, Peroni from SABMiller
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research