just-drinks authors and correspondents
Stuart Whitwell at Intangible Business
Articles by Stuart Whitwell at Intangible Business
Earlier today, brand valuation consultancy Intangible Business released the results of its latest survey of the world's wine and spirits brands. In this excerpt from the full report, which can be downloaded here, the company considers the consumer trends that have shaped the wine and spirits categories in the last ten years.
Drinks giant Diageo has been in the news recently after discrepancies were found in the results of United Spirits, an Indian spirits company that the company recently bought a controlling stake in.
News emerged in the UK late last month that 2,500 litres of fake wine and spirits were seized by police in the country as part of the worldwide Operation OPSON, run by Interpol. The counterfeit drinks industry is very much alive and kicking, even in developed markets like the UK, and drinks companies need to be more vigilant if they wish to protect their brands.
In the UK, the Royal Society of Public Health has called for nutritional labels - including calories - to be placed on alcoholic drinks, in order to curb the country's growing obesity epidemic.
This month sees The Coca-Cola Co introduce Coca-Cola Life, a new variant of its namesake CSD brand in the UK. Stuart Whitwell from Intangible Business considers the chances of success for the extension.
Whilst reports suggest that overall alcohol consumption is declining, it seems the craft beer industry is capitalising on the public’s over-familiarity with mass-market beer brands and instead turning to more innovative flavours of beer, backed by creative branding and marketing campaigns. Stuart Whitwell from Intangible Business surveys the scene.
After a lively year for our industry, Stuart Whitwell from Intangible Business takes a look at what the next 12 months could have in store for the beer and spirits categories.
A spate of recent trademark rows in the drinks industry has prompted Stuart Whitwell from Intangible Business to cast his eye over some of them, to see if there's a common thread.
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Are we about to see a no-alcohol Heineken?
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- A-B InBev's Global Presence - just The Facts
- Concha y Toro's H1 performance - Focus
- Heineken integrates cider and beer
- “New normal” sees Pernod target premium in China
- Diageo strengthens Charmer Sunbelt distribution
- Pernod Ricard keen to stem Absolut US declines
- Minimum unit pricing fails to get European backing
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Brown-Forman Corporation (BFB) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review