just-drinks authors and correspondents
Stuart Whitwell at Intangible Business
Articles by Stuart Whitwell at Intangible Business
Are you safe from the tax authorities? The wine and spirits industry is driven by valuable brands, each of which contains intellectual property at its heart. But, are brand owners putting themselves at risk of additional tax liabilities due to artificially-constructed, profit-shifting, transfer pricing schemes?
Earlier today, brand valuation consultancy Intangible Business released the results of its latest survey of the world's wine and spirits brands. In this excerpt from the full report, which can be downloaded here, the company considers the consumer trends that have shaped the wine and spirits categories in the last ten years.
Drinks giant Diageo has been in the news recently after discrepancies were found in the results of United Spirits, an Indian spirits company that the company recently bought a controlling stake in.
News emerged in the UK late last month that 2,500 litres of fake wine and spirits were seized by police in the country as part of the worldwide Operation OPSON, run by Interpol. The counterfeit drinks industry is very much alive and kicking, even in developed markets like the UK, and drinks companies need to be more vigilant if they wish to protect their brands.
In the UK, the Royal Society of Public Health has called for nutritional labels - including calories - to be placed on alcoholic drinks, in order to curb the country's growing obesity epidemic.
This month sees The Coca-Cola Co introduce Coca-Cola Life, a new variant of its namesake CSD brand in the UK. Stuart Whitwell from Intangible Business considers the chances of success for the extension.
Whilst reports suggest that overall alcohol consumption is declining, it seems the craft beer industry is capitalising on the public’s over-familiarity with mass-market beer brands and instead turning to more innovative flavours of beer, backed by creative branding and marketing campaigns. Stuart Whitwell from Intangible Business surveys the scene.
After a lively year for our industry, Stuart Whitwell from Intangible Business takes a look at what the next 12 months could have in store for the beer and spirits categories.
A spate of recent trademark rows in the drinks industry has prompted Stuart Whitwell from Intangible Business to cast his eye over some of them, to see if there's a common thread.
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Are we kidding ourselves over craft spirits?
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Diageo, Treasury Wine Estates quiet on wine sale
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Former Pernod Ricard exec joins Wakefield Wines
- Scotch whisky sees sales turn corner - SWA head
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research