just-drinks authors and correspondents
A trained newspaper journalist, Richard Woodard was editor of the drinks trade magazine Wine & Spirit International from 2000 to 2005, responsible for writing, commissioning and producing a broad range of business-related content relevant to the international drinks industry.
He now works freelance and is a regular contributor to just-drinks.com, Decanter, The Spirits Business, The Drinks Business and Imbibe, among others.
Columns by Richard Woodard
Resident columnist and spirits know-it-all Richard Woodard provides his monthly take on the latest in the global white spirits industry.
Articles by Richard Woodard
Worldwide sales of Scotch whisky are poised for a remarkable resurgence in the coming years, led by the continued march of malts and a recovery in blended Scotch sales, according to recent research.
Scotch whisky is contemplating a brighter future after three consecutive years of falling global sales, according to the latest joint Global Insights report from just-drinks and The IWSR. While worldwide consumption of blended Scotch and single malts fell slightly in 2015 – down 0.2% to just under 94m nine-litre cases – the early signs from 2016 are positive, and the years to come look brighter still.
The saga of Absolut's travails in the US continues, with the mooted recovery in the Pernod Ricard-owned vodka brand's fortunes proving more elusive than the company had hoped. Are Millennials to blame? Richard Woodard reports.
There are good times ahead for sparkling wine producers all over the world, including Champagne, according to the latest joint just-drinks/IWSR Global Insights report – with non-Champagne fizz set for dramatic growth. At first glance, that might look surprising. After all, overall sparkling wine consumption (including Champagne) only expanded by 0.3% in 2015, with Champagne bucking the recent trend by outperforming its global competition.
Champagne and sparkling wine are poised for a period of strong and uninterrupted growth in the years ahead, according to recent research compiled by just-drinks and The IWSR.
Global vodka sales are set for continued declines over the next five years, but the prospects for the premium-and-above price segments are brighter, according to recent research from just-drinks and The IWSR.
The strong growth for Cognac is poised to continue in the coming years, according to recent research, driven by increased consumption in the US, China and the UK.
The ongoing revival of the gin category in markets like the UK and Spain conceals a complex and fragmented global picture where overall consumption is still falling, according to the latest Global Gin Insights joint report from just-drinks and the IWSR.
The global rum market is set to face a tough future, according to joint research from just-drinks and The IWSR, with volumes expected to slide over the next five years.
The "remarkably resilient" Scotch whisky category is poised to stage a strong recovery over the next few years, buoyed by a resurgent blends market and continued growth for single malts.
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Heineken Q1 2017 by region - results data
- Soft drinks is losing the recycling game
- Remy Cointreau Fiscal-2017 sales - results data
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Scotch sales set to soar, despite recent struggles
- Edrington shifts innovation to US in shake-up
- TWE's Beringer Main & Vine Dry Rosé - NPD
- Pernod Ricard posts solid YTD sales jump - results
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Flavoured Powder Drinks in 2017: Confronting an Ageing World