just-drinks authors and correspondents
Articles by Joe Bates
Diageo has rolled out another extension of its Guinness beer brand. The 1798 Double Extra Stout is a limited-edition batch Guinness that has been matured in oak vats for 18 months and is packaged in a 75cl corked and caged bottle.
These are undoubtedly turbulent times for the Global Travel Retail business. An industry notoriously susceptible to external shocks has been tossed around like a vintage bi-plane flying through a tropical typhoon. The decline in spend among Chinese travellers, the dramatic drop in the value of the Russian Ruble, the sclerotic Eurozone economies, the strong US Dollar and its impact on the spending power of Latin America travellers are just some of the headwinds blowing Travel Retail off course.
As over 100 beer, spirits and wine firms head to flood-hit Cannes this weekend for the Tax Free World Association's World Exhibition - the biggest event in the Travel Retail industry’s calendar - they can look back on a tumultuous year. On the one hand, the number of international travellers continues to rise worldwide. Yet, a growing number of destabilising factors have hit the Travel Retail sector hard in recent times, jeopardising a niche, but high-profile business that, according to The IWSR, was worth in the region of US$9bn last year.
James Hennessy is the first travel-retail exclusive Hennessy expression since the release of Hennessy Privé in 2009.
Ahead of next week's TFWA Asia Pacific Exhibition & Conference in Singapore, which starts on Sunday, Joe Bates surveys the Travel Retail landscape in the region.
Hype Energy Drinks has signed a sponsorship deal with the Sahara Force India Formula One motor racing team for the 2015 race calendar.
A brewery which claims to the be the UK's first to produce only gluten-free beers is due to open in Edinburgh next year.
There should be a celebratory atmosphere in Cannes when this year’s TFWA World Exhibition kicks off on Sunday (26 October). After all, it’s the trade show’s 30th anniversary this year and organiser TFWA is putting on a number of events to mark the occasion, most notably a mass Charity Run along the Cannes Croisette.
Moët Hennessy has opened its first permanent airport store, at Paris Charles de Gaulle airport, in collaboration with Aéroports de Paris and French duty-free operator Ls Travel Retail.
Groupe Danone has opened its first branded airport outlet for its Evian bottled water brand at Madrid Barajas airport in partnership with Spanish Travel Retail firm Arèas.
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Should Boston Beer Co put up the For Sale sign?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- AB InBev snaps up Italy's Birra del Borgo
- Smirnoff Ice Electric flavours - NPD
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends