just-drinks authors and correspondents
Articles by Joe Bates
Next week sees the International Association of Airport & Duty Free Stores host its annual 'Duty Free Show of the Americas' in Orlando. But, this year's exhibition marks the end of an era. Joe Bates reports.
As the Travel Retail industry gathers for next week's TFWA World Exhibition amid the luxury yachts and pampered pooches of sunny Cannes, this most global of sales channels has much to ponder.
Responding to a significant increase in demand for Japanese whisky in duty-free markets worldwide, Beam Suntory has released the travel-retail exclusive The Chita.
Diageo has rolled out another extension of its Guinness beer brand. The 1798 Double Extra Stout is a limited-edition batch Guinness that has been matured in oak vats for 18 months and is packaged in a 75cl corked and caged bottle.
These are undoubtedly turbulent times for the Global Travel Retail business. An industry notoriously susceptible to external shocks has been tossed around like a vintage bi-plane flying through a tropical typhoon. The decline in spend among Chinese travellers, the dramatic drop in the value of the Russian Ruble, the sclerotic Eurozone economies, the strong US Dollar and its impact on the spending power of Latin America travellers are just some of the headwinds blowing Travel Retail off course.
As over 100 beer, spirits and wine firms head to flood-hit Cannes this weekend for the Tax Free World Association's World Exhibition - the biggest event in the Travel Retail industry’s calendar - they can look back on a tumultuous year. On the one hand, the number of international travellers continues to rise worldwide. Yet, a growing number of destabilising factors have hit the Travel Retail sector hard in recent times, jeopardising a niche, but high-profile business that, according to The IWSR, was worth in the region of US$9bn last year.
James Hennessy is the first travel-retail exclusive Hennessy expression since the release of Hennessy Privé in 2009.
Ahead of next week's TFWA Asia Pacific Exhibition & Conference in Singapore, which starts on Sunday, Joe Bates surveys the Travel Retail landscape in the region.
Hype Energy Drinks has signed a sponsorship deal with the Sahara Force India Formula One motor racing team for the 2015 race calendar.
A brewery which claims to the be the UK's first to produce only gluten-free beers is due to open in Edinburgh next year.
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research