just-drinks authors and correspondents
Articles by Datamonitor
As seen in this month's rundown of the latest innovative drinks launches, the single-use and shot formats continue to penetrate the market, with new products including a single-serve detox drink and a shot-type product designed to relieve the symptoms of cold and flu. Both highlight the popularity of functional products that can fit into consumers' increasingly mobile lifestyles.
Despite the difficulties presented by the recession, the UK soft drinks market has shown encouraging signs of growth. Britvic's 2010 Soft Drinks Report stated that industry sales rose 2% in 2009 to GBP8.5bn (US$12.74bn), fuelled mainly by a strong performance in the on-trade.
The UK has become a nation of consumer sceptics, according to recent research. Less than half - 44% - of the UK population trusts nutritional claims made by food and drink companies
Green Mountain Coffee has reported a hike in its Q3 earnings.
Starbucks has launched a bottled water product to help raise money for global clean water efforts.
The trend for Omega-3 enhanced products sees no sign of abating, with a number of new drinks launches tracked by Productscan Online this month containing the substance. Meanwhile, Coca-Cola has come up with a novel claim about its latest iced tea, which apparently provides the consumer with an intriguing cooling sensation - perfect for the summer then!
US drinks group Constellation has said that it is looking for strategic acquisitions in spirits.
Rumours of a bid by PepsiCo for Danone sent the French dairy firm’s shares soaring this week, but led to an outcry among French politicians worried about the loss of a ‘national champion.’
SABMiller is to move most of its beer brands' UK marketing and distribution in-house.
Datamonitors' Productscan Online has noted some interesting packaging designs in new drinks launches this month, which highlight the increasing length manufacturers will go to to get their products noticed. The gun shaped vodka bottle is an unusual package design and will certainly gain attention, while sachets of spirits and plastic beer bottles have a more practical feel about them.
- Industry is following the pack to patriotic party
- How has craft beer put the squeeze on world beers?
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Diageo unveils first European Johnnie Walker House
- Consumers want brands that challenge them - study
- Spirits can fill music industry gap - Jagermeister
- Heineken signs JV deal in Philippines
- Brown-Forman shuffles director pack
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends