just the facts - US spirit sales
Spirits sales in the US kept their head above water with a 1% volume rise in 2009 and are set to grow more strongly in 2010, according to the head of the US Distilled Spirits Council (DISCUS) this week. Here we take a look at five facts on the US spirits industry in 2009.
1. The top ten markets for US spirits exports were Canada, UK, Australia, Germany, France, Japan, Netherlands, Spain, Italy, Mexico.
2. Data by DISCUS showed 2.2% volume growth in the off-premise sector – 75% percent of the industry - as more people entertained at home. That was offset by the on-premise sector - restaurants, bars, hotels and nightclubs -which continued to suffer with a 3% volume decline.
3. The US spirits sector has experience 2.6% average annual growth over past ten years. Spirits volumes grew 1.4% in 2009. Spirits revenues have experienced 5.2% average annual growth in the last ten years.
4. In 2009, the US defeated 114 of 120 separate tax bills. In 2009 alone, 32 of 40 tax threats were defeated with US$1bn in retail sales saved, according to DISCUS. In 2008, all 33 of 33 tax threats were defeated with $1bn in retail sales also saved.
5. In the US, 36 states now allow Sunday sales of spirits. Of those states, 14 were have been passed since 2002. Additional supplier sales are estimated at $160m annually. Revenue growth is estimated at around $750m since 2002.
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Are we about to see a no-alcohol Heineken?
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- A-B InBev's Global Presence - just The Facts
- Concha y Toro's H1 performance - Focus
- Heineken integrates cider and beer
- “New normal” sees Pernod target premium in China
- Diageo strengthens Charmer Sunbelt distribution
- Pernod Ricard keen to stem Absolut US declines
- Minimum unit pricing fails to get European backing
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Brown-Forman Corporation (BFB) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review