just the Facts - Nigeria and Diageo
Nigeria is now the biggest market for Diageo's Guinness beer brand
Today (15 October), Diageo is hosting its annual investor conference, which this year highlights the markets in Africa. Here, just-drinks looks at Nigeria, its beverage alcohol landscape and Diageo's presence in the country.
- Nigeria comprises a landmass equivalent to the UK and France combined
- It has the second largest economy in Africa, after South Africa
- The country is the world's 12th largest petroleum producer, and is set to rise to 11th in the near future. Oil is its largest export
- Challenges remain for the country's economy, however. Power supply is declining and not keeping up with demand, oil output and pricing has fallen slightly, and there has been a dip in government spending in 2013
- According to IMF figures, Nigeria's GDP in 2012 totalled around US$538bn. Renaissance Capital estimates that, in 2050, the nation's GDP will soar to around $5,960bn
- The country's population is also expected to rise markedly, according to the United Nations. Today's population is 150m, but by 2050 this should come in at around 350m
- In alcohol, the country has a large 'informal' sector
- Beer is the biggest alcohol category in Nigeria. The overall beer market has been declining since 2010, but the value segment is growing
- The country is the largest market for Guinness in the world. It overtook the brand's home market of Ireland in Diageo's fiscal 2012
- Per capita consumption of both beer and spirits is low – Beer = 11 litres, spirits = 0.3 litres. Around 80% of total alcohol consumption hails from the south of the country
- Diageo has two companies in Nigeria: Guinness Nigeria Plc (54.3%-owned by Diageo, 45.7% by other investors) and Diageo Brands Nigeria Ltd (sole owner). Guinness Nigeria operates in beer, malt and RTD, Diageo Nigeria covers premium and super-premium spirits. The two companies have separate sales divisions but a combined back-office set-up
- Diageo believes it is the only total beverage alcohol company in Nigeria. Heineken, SABMiller, Moet Hennessy and Distell are the other main international operators in the country
- The company has three production sites, in Lagos, Benin and Aba
As we start our annual series of management briefings that focus on environmental sustainability, Ben Cooper looks at the importance of integrating the issue into all aspect of a company's operations ...
"The Future of the Wine Market in the United Arab Emirates to 2017: Market Size, Distribution and Brand Share, Key Events and Competitive Landscape" is the result of Canadean’s extensive market and co...
In the second part of this month's management briefing, which shines the light on the importance of environmental sustainability in the brewing industry, Ben Cooper considers the impact of stakeholder...
"The Future of the Spirits Market in India to 2017: Market Size, Distribution and Brand Share, Key Events and Competitive Landscape" is the result of Canadean’s extensive market and company research. ...
In the third part of this month's management briefing, Ben Cooper reviews the environmental sustainability of three of the world's biggest brewers: Anheuser-Busch InBev, Carlsberg and Diageo....
While many drinks companies have highlighted Africa as a continent that offers huge potential, the region is not without its well-documented perils and pitfalls. Most notable among these is the logist...
- Pernod Ricard 's first-half results - Preview
- Pernod Ricard's H1 performance by region - Focus
- Carlsberg's Q4 & full-year results - Preview
- Heineken's FY performance by region - Focus
- Forget Baby Boomers at your peril - Consumer Trend
- Asahi Group lines up Grolsch, Meantime, Peroni buy
- Diageo completes wine category exit in US
- Pernod Ricard targets US through unit, exec switch
- William Grant & Sons' Ailsa Bay - NPD
- Beam Suntory targets Kenya with Edrington/FIX
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research