just The Facts - Drambuie
Drambuie has been put up for sale
The owner of Drambuie today (22 May) confirmed that the liqueur is up for sale. Here, just-drinks takes a closer look at the brand.
- The Drambuie brand has been owned by the MacKinnon Family Trust for the past 100 years. The family bought it from a Skye hotelier in 1914, but legend has it that the original recipe came from Bonnie Prince Charlie.
- The core brand is a blend of Scotch whisky, spices, heather honey and herbs.
- Extensions include Drambuie 15, which on its release in 2011 was the first product Drambuie had launched into the UK market in a decade. Drambuie 15 uses 15-year-old Speyside malts and is targeted at Drambuie customers that want to trade up and new malt whisky experimenters.
- Sales have suffered in the past few years, partly through a decline in Southern European markets.
- Greece was previously Drambuie's second-biggest market after the US but volumes in 2012 fell by 27% year-on-year.
- In Drambuie's most recent full-year results, net profits were down by 12% to GBP2.5m (US$4m) and net sales fell by 3% to GBP22.2m.
- Brand Drambuie was launched in India in 2011 while Drambuie 15 has been trialled in Vietnam.
- Suntory-owned Morrison Bowmore handles Drambuie's procurement, blending, bottling and logistics operations at the group's Springburn site.
- The name Drambuie comes from the Scots gaelic an dram buidheach, which translates as “the drink that satisfies”.
Suntory made a significant move in 2013 with the acquisition of Lucozade and Ribena from GlaxoSmithKline. This has boosted its presence in sports and energy drinks in Western Europe. However, the bran...
Business consolidation, leveraging and enhancing its core brands are the main strategies for Suntory Beverage & Food Ltd. The listed company is now focusing on foods and beverages and on the way to ex...
Analyses of the leading companies in the alcohol industry...
- Craft spirits shake-out will be just the beginning
- How Treasury is rewriting the rule book - Comment
- Drinkable yogurt - The next drinks opportunity
- The decline of the flagship beer brand - Comment
- Coca-Cola India suspends bottling operations
- Diageo brands need "fixing and nurturing" - TWE
- SAB shareholders granted AB InBev vote split
- Craft Brew Alliance poised for AB InBev takeover?
- Diageo revamps Gordon's gin bottle in UK
- Diageo's Guinness Rye Pale Ale - NPD
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages