just The Facts - Drambuie
Drambuie has been put up for sale
The owner of Drambuie today (22 May) confirmed that the liqueur is up for sale. Here, just-drinks takes a closer look at the brand.
- The Drambuie brand has been owned by the MacKinnon Family Trust for the past 100 years. The family bought it from a Skye hotelier in 1914, but legend has it that the original recipe came from Bonnie Prince Charlie.
- The core brand is a blend of Scotch whisky, spices, heather honey and herbs.
- Extensions include Drambuie 15, which on its release in 2011 was the first product Drambuie had launched into the UK market in a decade. Drambuie 15 uses 15-year-old Speyside malts and is targeted at Drambuie customers that want to trade up and new malt whisky experimenters.
- Sales have suffered in the past few years, partly through a decline in Southern European markets.
- Greece was previously Drambuie's second-biggest market after the US but volumes in 2012 fell by 27% year-on-year.
- In Drambuie's most recent full-year results, net profits were down by 12% to GBP2.5m (US$4m) and net sales fell by 3% to GBP22.2m.
- Brand Drambuie was launched in India in 2011 while Drambuie 15 has been trialled in Vietnam.
- Suntory-owned Morrison Bowmore handles Drambuie's procurement, blending, bottling and logistics operations at the group's Springburn site.
- The name Drambuie comes from the Scots gaelic an dram buidheach, which translates as “the drink that satisfies”.
Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offeri...
Canadean's "Suntory Holdings Limited: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a compa...
Suntory’s surprise takeover of Beam in April 2014 has created the world’s sixth biggest spirits company. Although not currently showing in Euromonitor International data, this profile will look at Sun...
- SABMiller & Meantime: Notes for the New Owner
- Are Coca-Cola, A-B InBev at a FIFA Crossroads?
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Focus - The Prosecco shortage that isn't
- Interview - Illva Saronno CEO Augusto Reina
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo takes Baileys, Gordon's marketing in-house
- Carlsberg cuts 180 staff
- Suntory to buy Japan Tobacco beverage unit
- Mixto Tequila poised for "golden age"
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review