just the Facts - Canada's Beer Market
One in every 100 jobs is in the so-called 'beer economy'
A new report - From Farm to Glass: The Value of Beer - published today (5 November) reveals some key facts and figures on Canada's beer market. Here's we present highlights from the report, which was commissioned by Beer Canada, and published by the Conference Board of Canada:
- Beer is the most popular alcoholic beverage in the country, accounting for 8.1% of all household spending on food and beverages
- Total beer sales averaged CAD12.3bn annually between 2009 and 2011. Consumption accounted for CAD13.8bn annually in economic activity during this period
- Canadians bought the equivalent of 235 bottles of beer per person in 2012 at beer and liquor stores and agencies.
- Every dollar that Canadians spend on beer generates CAD1.12 in the Canadian economy
- The so-called 'beer economy' supports 163,200 jobs across the country, or one out of every 100 jobs in Canada.
- Beer consumption generates CAD5.8 billion in annual tax revenues for federal, provincial, territorial and municipal governments.
- In 2012, residents in Newfoundland and Labrador, Quebec and the Prairie provinces (Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba) consumed more beer than the Canadian average; British Columbians consumed the lowest amount.
- British Columbia has 72 breweries, second only to Ontario.
Sectors: Beer & cider
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Guinness Nigeria sees YTD sales, profits tumble
- Bacardi recruits ex-News International exec
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends