just On Call - Maker's Mark abv storm behind sales spike - Beam CEO
Beam planned to decrease Maker's Mark's alcohol content
Beam Inc's much-criticised decision to lower Maker's Mark's abv pushed the brand's sales growth to unsustainable levels, the firm's CEO has said.
Matt Shattock told analysts in a call today (2 May) that consumer stockpiling after the planned drop was announced is behind Maker's Mark's 44% sales jump in first-quarter results. “We did see a bit of a buying forward from customers so that took the growth rate of shipments ahead of the underlying sales growth,” Shattock said.
However, he added: “We won't expect to see those 44% growth rates sustained through the year. In fact, we can't sustain them.”
Shattock said demand is expected to temper through the year, with Beam managing supplies through pricing and market mix. "There is enough liquid to sustain a solid rate of growth," he said.
It was high demand for Maker's Mark that led Beam to announce a planned drop in the Bourbon's abv from 45% to 42% to help conserve supplies. However, the announcement sparked a storm of protest from consumers and the company quickly reversed it decision.
The sales spike for Maker's Mark helped Beam to a 22.6% net profits jump in today's Q1 results despite headwinds in South America and Asia, the company said.
The recent spate of activity in the Irish whiskey category suggests that the sub-category is looking to make waves in the spirits world. Ian Buxton takes a closer look and considers whether all the fu...
Beam, as the world’s fourth largest international spirits company and seventh largest overall, should be in a strong position. In some ways it is, however, it suffers from a large proportion of its vo...
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Amazon adds alcohol to one-hour delivery service
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research