just On Call - Flavoured water is "healthy" - Danone CFO
Danone released its H1 results today.
Groupe Danone's CFO has defended its flavoured water brands from accusations they contain too much sugar, saying they sit “at the heart” of the company's health strategy.
On an analysts' conference call today (29 July), following the group's first-half results, Pierre-Andre Terrise said that so-called “aqua drinks”, which account for 30% of Danone's water sales, are "healthy" and low in sugar compared to other soft drinks. He said consumers don't view them as a replacement for water but as “something more exciting”.
“That is why aqua drinks are at the heart of our health strategy,” Terrise said. “It allows people to keep drinking nice things but they are healthier than most traditional soft drinks.”
Danone sells a range of flavoured water under its Evian and Volvic brands in a category that has come under attack from health groups accusing producers of marketing it as a healthy alternative to water. This month, a US judge gave the go-ahead to a class action lawsuit against the Coca-Cola Co that accuses it of making “deceptive and unsubstantiated” claims over its Vitaminwater brand.
In H1 results, released today, Danone's water unit posted a 9.6% jump in sales alongside a 5.9% rise in volumes.
As we welcome in the New Year, we invite Euromonitor to cast its eye over what 2014 holds for the drinks industry. In the first part of this month's management briefing, the global market research and...
This month's management briefing takes a look at the last 12 months for the global drinks industry. In part one, Ben Cooper reviews the year in the bottled water category....
Ahead of the Oscars, due to be handed out in just over a month's time, Richard Corbett has some gongs of his own to hand out. In recognition of the best new soft drinks products in 2013, who will win ...
Returning from Mexico, Tom Vierhile from Datamonitor shares his thoughts on what plastic packaging has to offer, going forward....
Japan's Suntory Beverage & Food has appointed Stanislas de Gramont to head its new European subsidiary....
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Should Boston Beer Co put up the For Sale sign?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- AB InBev snaps up Italy's Birra del Borgo
- Smirnoff Ice Electric flavours - NPD
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- US craft beer to hit saturation soon - Koch
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends