just On Call - Flavoured water is "healthy" - Danone CFO
Danone released its H1 results today.
Groupe Danone's CFO has defended its flavoured water brands from accusations they contain too much sugar, saying they sit “at the heart” of the company's health strategy.
On an analysts' conference call today (29 July), following the group's first-half results, Pierre-Andre Terrise said that so-called “aqua drinks”, which account for 30% of Danone's water sales, are "healthy" and low in sugar compared to other soft drinks. He said consumers don't view them as a replacement for water but as “something more exciting”.
“That is why aqua drinks are at the heart of our health strategy,” Terrise said. “It allows people to keep drinking nice things but they are healthier than most traditional soft drinks.”
Danone sells a range of flavoured water under its Evian and Volvic brands in a category that has come under attack from health groups accusing producers of marketing it as a healthy alternative to water. This month, a US judge gave the go-ahead to a class action lawsuit against the Coca-Cola Co that accuses it of making “deceptive and unsubstantiated” claims over its Vitaminwater brand.
In H1 results, released today, Danone's water unit posted a 9.6% jump in sales alongside a 5.9% rise in volumes.
Danone , Groupe in Soft Drinks (World)
Danone is the global leader in bottled water. Danone has been successful at developing local and regional brands in emerging markets to support growth. In 2012, Bonafont, based almost entirely on Mexi...read more
As we welcome in the New Year, we invite Euromonitor to cast its eye over what 2014 holds for the drinks industry. In the first part of this month's management briefing, the global market research and...
Danone is the global leader in bottled water. Danone has been successful at developing local and regional brands in emerging markets to support growth. In 2012, Bonafont, based almost entirely on Mexi...
This month's management briefing takes a look at the last 12 months for the global drinks industry. In part one, Ben Cooper reviews the year in the bottled water category....
Danone Waters (UK & Ireland) Ltd is focused on generating stronger business in the forecast period by tapping into the rising health consciousness of UK consumers and showcasing the benefits of simple...
Ahead of the Oscars, due to be handed out in just over a month's time, Richard Corbett has some gongs of his own to hand out. In recognition of the best new soft drinks products in 2013, who will win ...
Danone Waters Deutschland GmbH is the second biggest player in bottled water in Germany. The company offers different brands within bottled water, including Volvic and Evian. Its main strategy is to f...
- Comment - Diageo Spins the Guinness Wheel... Again
- Diageo's Labels Give Industry Something to Digest
- Comment - 'Craft' and the Danger of 'Romance Copy'
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Who should Stock Spirits Acquire?
- Diageo lines up UK innovations push
- Craft is an 'abused' term - Pernod Ricard exec
- Pernod Ricard queries nutritional label use
- SPI Group 'disappointed' over Stolichnaya ruling
- Diageo's Guinness Golden Ale
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly
- Beer Market Insights Africa 2014
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets