just On Call - Constellation Brands to be US' third biggest beer seller
Constellation is set to become a major player in the US beer market
During an investors' webcast yesterday (5 June), Rob Sands said the group, which also produces Svedka vodka and Robert Mondavi wine, will become the US' third biggest alcohol company as a result of taking full control of Crown Imports and acquiring Modelo's Piedras Negras brewery. The deal is expected to finalise tomorrow.
"This deal has been almost a year in the making, but it's certainly been worth the wait as it's the most transformational acquisition in the history of Constellation Brands and completely changes the size and scale and scope and significance of the company," Sands told investors.
Modelo Especial, Corona Light, Negra Modelo and Pacifico all saw record sales last year, Sands noted. "For the 16th consecutive year, Corona Extra remained the leader in the US imported beer category, exceeding the 100m case mark for the year and surpassing the number two import by 45m cases," he added.
Sands reassured Modelo employees at the Piedras Negras brewery by confirming that its "full management infrastructure" will remain in place.
He repeated the group's plans to increase the brewery's capacity from 10m to 20m hectolitres in the next three years.
Sustainable packaging gets the just-drinks management briefing treatment in this, the fourth and final part of our look at environmental sustainability in the wine sector....
It's always fun for us to write up the opinions of industry observers when they posit that the next wave of consolidation in one sector or another is set to break some time soon....
- Diageo NA head on Trump, Millennials, Bourbon
- Has Millennial-mania drowned out elder consumers?
- Interview - Loch Lomond GTR head Andre de Almeida
- Absolut and Smirnoff's conflicting Millennial view
- Brown-Forman's H1 performance by region, brand
- Coca-Cola CEO Muhtar Kent set to stand down
- Diageo wine assets integration head to leave TWE
- Brown-Forman's barrel sales take Scotch hit
- Absolut not "sufficiently focussed" on Millennials
- Angostura places CEO on administrative leave
- Luxury Alcoholic Drinks: The Spirit of Premiumisation
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends