just on Call - Coca-Cola Enterprises sees diet CSDs outperform regular in Europer
CCE has been encouraged by the performance of its diet range
Consumer fears over aspartame appear not to have crossed the Atlantic from the US, as Coca-Cola Enterprises (CCE) has reported that its diet portfolio is outperforming its regular range in Europe.
In an investors conference call last week, CCE’s European president, Hubert Patricot, was asked whether markets were being affected by increasing health fears. “We don’t see that,” said Patricot.
“If anything, the diet portfolio has outperformed the regular portfolio in the last quarter ... and they (diets) really continue to grow very fast.”
His comments came after CCE last week reported a drop in nine-month net profits, with sales flat.
Concerns around the artificial sweetener aspartame have hurt the US' diet soda market lately, with Dr Pepper Snapple Group's chief saying last week that he was "shocked" by the impact. PepsiCo has also expressed concerns.
Meanwhile, on the firm's future prospects in its key Western Europe markets, Patricot said CCE expects to be helped by some “GDP improvement” by next year. But, he added: “Unemployment remains pretty high in all our markets - 8% to 9% - and it does not change.”
- What Brexit means for drinks industry? - Analysis
- Is there a future for the global beer brand?
- How soft drinks can win big with adult consumers
- Global director int'l brands, Heineken - Interview
- Non-Scotch Whisky Essentials, Part I
- The UK Referendum - just-drinks Live Blog
- SABMiller confirms price paid for Meantime
- Aldi dealt alcohol sales blow in Australia
- Maxxium eyes US$1.4bn opportunity in UK spirits
- Ex-William Grant CEO Stella David re-joins Bacardi
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirits and Wine: Corporate Overview
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends