just On Call - Anheuser-Busch InBev treads carefully on Corona switch
Anheuser-Busch InBev took over Corona last year
The brand, which A-B InBev acquired when it took full control of Modelo last year, will launch within the brewer's distribution system in Canada on Saturday. But, in a conference call today (26 February) after the release of A-B InBev's full-year results, Carlos Brito said that a roll-out in Brazil will wait untill after this Summer's FIFA World Cup tournament.
“We feel that doing it now, it wouldn’t really give justice to the brand,” the CEO said.
Under Modelo, Corona was distributed through a network of local distribution contracts, which Brito said must be honoured before A-B InBev's in-house system can take over.
Meanwhile, Brito said a big ramp-up in marketing spend this year will help target the “beer-centric” World Cup.
A-B InBev has predicted its sales and marketing costs in 2014 will increase in percentage terms by about mid-teens, compared to a 4.5% rise last year. The jump equates to about US$800m.
Brito said: “It's only every four years you have a World Cup and, because we are a big sponsor and because the World Cup is a beer-centric event - especially this time as it's in Brazil - we decided to make this a huge event.”
Brito said most of the World Cup marketing budget will be used in Brazil.
A-B InBev is the only alcohol sponsor of the World Cup through its Budweiser brand. The brewer has partnered with the event since 1986, and last week unveiled a global World Cup marketing plan for Budweiser, including a golden, aluminium, 16oz bottle.
Anheuser-Busch InBev Germany Holding GmbH in Alcoholic Drinks (Germany)
Anheuser-Busch InBev Germany’s strategic direction is mainly in line with the international parent company and the company does not have a lot of room for self-governance. Partial autonomy is granted,...read more
Anheuser-Busch InBev SA/NV - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and servi...
Grupo Modelo S.A.B. de C.V. (Grupo Modelo) is one of the leading producers of beer in Mexico. It produces, distributes and markets beer. Grupo Modelo brews and distributes 14 brands such as Corona Ext...
Grupo Modelo is the leading company in beer in Mexico and its strategic direction has always pointed to international consumers as well. A recent example of this is its objective for 2015 which is to ...
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Amazon adds alcohol to one-hour delivery service
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research