just On Call - Anheuser-Busch InBev treads carefully on Corona switch
Anheuser-Busch InBev took over Corona last year
The brand, which A-B InBev acquired when it took full control of Modelo last year, will launch within the brewer's distribution system in Canada on Saturday. But, in a conference call today (26 February) after the release of A-B InBev's full-year results, Carlos Brito said that a roll-out in Brazil will wait untill after this Summer's FIFA World Cup tournament.
“We feel that doing it now, it wouldn’t really give justice to the brand,” the CEO said.
Under Modelo, Corona was distributed through a network of local distribution contracts, which Brito said must be honoured before A-B InBev's in-house system can take over.
Meanwhile, Brito said a big ramp-up in marketing spend this year will help target the “beer-centric” World Cup.
A-B InBev has predicted its sales and marketing costs in 2014 will increase in percentage terms by about mid-teens, compared to a 4.5% rise last year. The jump equates to about US$800m.
Brito said: “It's only every four years you have a World Cup and, because we are a big sponsor and because the World Cup is a beer-centric event - especially this time as it's in Brazil - we decided to make this a huge event.”
Brito said most of the World Cup marketing budget will be used in Brazil.
A-B InBev is the only alcohol sponsor of the World Cup through its Budweiser brand. The brewer has partnered with the event since 1986, and last week unveiled a global World Cup marketing plan for Budweiser, including a golden, aluminium, 16oz bottle.
Grupo Modelo is the leading company in beer in Mexico and its strategic direction has always pointed to international consumers as well. A recent example of this is its objective for 2015 which is to ...
Alcoholic Drinks in the United States industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile also...
Alcoholic Drinks in Mexico industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile also contains d...
- What's so special about Islay anyway? - Comment
- Six key trends for alcoholic drinks in 2016
- What do Bourbon and craft beer have in common?
- Ten things to know about spirits in the US
- Aus wine industry pays price for past failures
- Alcohol industry warning over Kroger plan
- SABMiller hits back in UK corporation tax row
- Bacardi ups ante in US Havana Club row
- Suntory bids for Lucozade, Ribena Nigerian network
- Diageo's Orphan Barrel The Gifted Horse - NPD
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020