GREECE: Greek consumers still chasing premium drinks - research
Drinks consumers in Greece are continuing to demand premium products, according to recent research.
In a report looking into the Greek wine & spirits market in 2008, released this week, drinks industry analyst the IWSR has said that latest data shows a marked trading-up across the board in the country. Last year, premium products, classed as those retailing at over EUR20 (US$31), increased by 6.1% year-on-year to reach close to 500,000 cases - an all-time high. This is in stark contrast to the total market for wines & spirits, which recorded growth of just 0.2%.
Of particular interest at present are the super-premium Scotches, Scotch malts, premium vodkas (on a limited scale), gins and sparkling wine, as consumers treat themselves and want to display their ability to buy expensive brands. This trend is also reflected in a renewed interest in premium domestic spirits with continued strong growth in locally-made premium ouzo and tsipouro.
This is certainly not the full picture however. Last year also saw a marked slowdown in the total Greek drinks market, with standard Scotch recording its fourth year of decline, but at a faster rate than in previous years.
The IWSR report also shows that further overall losses are predicted for most categories in 2008.
On a positive note, the new report reveals a renewed interest in rum: it may well be that the Greek market is another Spain in the making.
Pernod Ricard's unexpected move for Absolut in March set the tone for a year in which Diageo eschewed any significant acquisitions in favour of joint deals with existing brand owners. Olly Wehring rev...
William Grant & Sons has lined up the launch of a travel retail exclusive variant of its The Balvenie Scotch whisky brand....
Heaven Hill Distilleries has added two new flavours to its O'Mara's Irish Country Cream....
Beam Global Spirits & Wine has appointed Philip Raimondo as national accounts mixologist....
The three leading distillers in the Czech Republic all reported a sales rise in 2008, indicating that global economic problems have yet to bite....
Diageo has secured a site in the US Virgin Islands for the construction of its previously-announced Captain Morgan rum distillery....
UK pub chain JD Wetherspoon has come under fire from industry rivals following its decision to offer a GBP0.99 (US$1.44) pint....
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- SABMiller's Q1 Sales Performance by Region
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- Global business development head to quit Diageo
- just the Winners - IWSC Spirits Trophy Winners
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research