Focus - Molson Coors' Q2 & H1 Performance by Region
Molson Coors posted its H1 results today
Today, Molson Coors reported a healthy rise in first-half net profits. Second-quarter profits also increased, but the brewer's sales were flat across the six months. Here, just-drinks takes closer look at the brewer’s Q2 & H1 performance by region:
- US (MillerCoors)
The MillerCoors JV between SABMiller and Molson Coors saw underlying net income for Q2 increase by 8% to US$445.7m, thanks to positive pricing, sales mix and cost savings, Molson Coors said. In H1, underlying net profits also rose by 8%, to $737.6m
MillerCoors domestic sales to retailers (STRs) fell by 1.2% for the quarter, while domestic sales to wholesalers (STWs) decreased 1.7%. Total company net sales-per-hectolitre increased by 3.1% in Q2.
Molson Coors' underlying pretax profits in Canada decreased by 6.5% to $120.9m in Q2 as the cancellation of its Canadian JV with Grupo Modelo made itself felt. First-half underlying pretax profits, however, were up by 33% to $209m because of a profits boost in Q1 from the cancellation at the end of February.
A decrease in the Canadian dollar versus the US dollar saw a $6.3m negative foreign exchange impact on underlying pretax profits in Q2.
STRs decreased by 3.1% on a reported basis in the second quarter and market share declined about one-half point. Net sales-per-hectolitre increased by 0.5% in local currency, driven by positive net pricing and mix.
Europe's underlying pretax profits increased by 13.3% to $86.8m in Q2. In H1, these were up by 44% to $103m. The increase was driven by cost savings and positive geographic mix, along with a $4.9m benefit from foreign currency movements.
Europe sales volumes decreased 1.3% in Q2, as the region was impacted by flooding in parts of Serbia, Bosnia, Croatia and Bulgaria. Consumer demand was also weak in Romania because of poor weather in the quarter. This was partially offset by strong growth in the UK, Hungary and Czech Republic. Net sales-per-hectolitre in Europe increased 1.9% in local currency in Q2.
The International segment posted an underlying pretax loss of $3.7m in the second quarter, versus a loss of $3.1m a year ago, due to higher marketing investments. Over the first-half, however, losses narrowed from $8.3m last year to $6.7m.
Total international sales volumes increased 21.6%, primarily due to strong Coors Light growth in Mexico and Latin America and significant growth in India, partially offset by continued industry weakness in Ukraine and Russia. Net sales-per-hectolitre decreased by 6.7%, driven by geographic mix and foreign currency movements.
Molson Coors Brewing Company - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and ser...
Grupo Modelo S.A.B. de C.V. (Grupo Modelo) is one of the leading producers of beer in Mexico. It produces, distributes and markets beer. Grupo Modelo brews and distributes 14 brands such as Corona Ext...
In a trading update earlier today, SABMiller posted a 3% lift in group sales in its fiscal first quarter, as volumes held steady. Here we look at the three-month performance by region....
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
- Are we kidding ourselves over craft spirits?
- What's behind Brown-Forman's Irish whiskey plans?
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- How good a sustainability fit are ABI and SAB?
- The new Johnnie Walker ad and today's consumers
- Diageo, Treasury Wine Estates quiet on wine sale
- Chandon to become "third pillar brand" for MH
- Brown-Forman silent on Southern Comfort report
- Stoli appoints international marketing director
- Moet Hennessy hails Formula One deal for Chandon
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research