Campylobacter Jejuni - A Lesser Known Bacteria
Campylobacter jejuni is one of the world's major food poisoning bacteria. British scientists have recently determined its entire genetic make up, which should lead to an understanding of the mechanism of Campylobacter virulence as well as strategies to control it. Campylobacter jejuni has been taken seriously as a food pathogen only since the 1970's, but it is probably responsible for maybe twice as many cases of reported enteritis than the better known Salmonella. Originally thought to be a harmless organism living within some animals, one of its mysteries is how it lives in the gut of birds without causing disease but becomes an invasive pathogen in humans. It has a very low infective dose and over the last 20 years the incidence of Campylobacter food poisoning has soared in developed countries. Healthy humans do not carry the organism nor is it passed from infected humans to other people. The main symptom of infection from contaminated food or water is diarrhoea, but others such as fever, nausea, headache and abdominal pains can also occur. Illness typically starts 2-5 days after ingestion of the bacteria and the effects can be very debilitating, lasting for up to 10 days.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- The end is nigh for Global Travel Retail - Comment
- Interview, Bulldog Gin founder Anshuman Vohra
- Pernod Ricard's Q1 results - Preview
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- A Keeper of the Quaich writes - Editor's Viewpoint
- Diageo most at risk to Thai alcohol ban - analyst
- Constellation sells Canadian wine unit for US$761m
- Jobs at new India hub won't affect staff - Diageo
- Stumbling UK Pound prompts Conviviality price hike
- Pernod Ricard cheers US move to ease Cuban limits
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends