California wine fever takes hold as multinationals move in
One week of merger mania in Californian wine has the industry braced for a major consolidation. Larry Walker investigates the dynamics driving the fever for US wine companies. Three major acquisitions in the California wine business in the last week of August have left the industry holding its breath, wondering who will be next. It began with Australia's Foster's Brewing Group buying Beringer Wine Estate for $1.5 billion. Going almost unnoticed, on the same day, Canada's Vincor International bought R.H. Phillips for $92m. Two days later, The Wine Group bagged half a dozen of Sebastiani's high volume brands in a deal believed to be worth $300m-plus. The Foster's deal in particular is likely to prompt further consolidation, experts believe. It has been widely reported that two other Australian wine companies, Southcorp and BRL Hardy are interested in wineries in California.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-drinks gives you the widest beverage market coverage.
Paid just-drinks members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Olly Wehring, editor of just-drinks
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- SABMiller's Q1 sales performance by region - Focus
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- The Coca-Cola Co's Q2/H1 2016 results - Preview
- Remy Cointreau's Q1 performance by brand, region
- Diageo appoints new Smirnoff head
- AB InBev seeks single buyer for European beers
- Gruppo Campari trials Negroni pre-mix
- AB InBev halts VAIP incentive plan
- Scotch drop hits Edrington as FY profits fall
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends