Analysis - Tiger takes bite out of brand Heineken
Brand Heineken volumes have suffered
Heineken's flagship beer brand has seen its volumes decline in the first half of the year as growth rates slowed in emerging markets, an analyst has said.
In the first six months of 2013, brand Heineken volumes fell by 3%, compared to a 5.3% volums lift in full-year 2012, Nomura's Ian Shackleton said today (22 August). Volumes declined even after accounting for one fewer selling day in H1 and destocking in France and the US, Shackleton said.
“In Asia, the positioning of (Heineken's) Tiger brand has been recalibrated, which has led to weaker Heineken brand volumes,” Shackleton said. “In Africa, the slowdown is largely attributable to weakness in the Democratic Republic of Congo following the increase in excise at the end of 2012 and unrest in part of the country.”
In a call with analysts after the release of H1 results yesterday, Heineken chairman & CEO Jean-François van Boxmeer said the Dutch brewer has positioned Tiger as a mainstream brand in Asia so it does not compete against brand Heineken.
However, while Tiger has seen “a big growth rate of 40%” for Tiger in H1, van Boxmeer said, brand Heineken volumes in Asia Pacific dropped from 2% growth in FY 2012 to flat in H1. In Africa, the brand increased volumes by only 4% in H1 compared to a 16% rise in 2012.
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts