Analysis - PepsiCo off pace as The Coca-Cola Co sparkles
PepsiCo's sparkling category showed smaller growth than Coca-Cola's
In first-quarter results, announced today, the snacks and drinks maker reported a 3% increase in global beverage volumes, or just 1% on an organic basis. Meanwhile. Coca-Cola, which posted its Q1 results on Tuesday, saw beverage volumes increase by 4%.
Wells Fargo analyst Bonnie Herzog said: “PepsiCo delivered decent Q1 results, but we remain concerned about the health of the beverage business.
“A 1% global volume growth in beverages reflects continued underperformance versus Coca-Cola.”
Herzog also highlighted a 3% volumes drop for the PepsiCo Americas Beverages unit, led by “mid-single digit” declines in the CSD category. Coca-Cola reported a 1% drop in its Q1 North America sparkling beverage volumes, while in Latin America sparkling beverage volumes were up by 2% in the quarter.
On Tuesday, Coca-Cola announced planned changes to its US bottler system that are intended to lower expenses and stimulate growth in CSDs.
PepsiCo, meanwhile, is putting faith in new sweetener and flavour innovations to “reinvent” the struggling category. Today company CEO Indra Nooyi said she intends to treat CSDs “very carefully”.
In 2012, Cía de Bebidas Pepsico continued to adapt to the gloomy economic climate by holding back prices, offering its core carbonates brands at lower retail prices than its main competitor Cía Servic...
PepsiCo India is one of the largest players in packaged foods and soft drinks in India. The holding became the new title sponsor of the Indian Premier League (IPL) for five seasons starting from 2013....
PepsiCo Deutschland GmbH is the second biggest player in carbonates in Germany. The company offers a wide product portfolio within carbonates, covering cola and non-cola carbonates through well-known ...
PepsiCo has launched a new television advert for its namesake soft drinks brand featuring footballer Lionel Messi....
- Will Tequila Learn from Scotch Whisky's Mistakes?
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Is Marketing Twisting the Meanings of Words?
- Sustainability - Walking the Walk on Water
- Analysis - The Value of Prosecco
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- SPI Group US, Canada sales chief departs
- Belvedere proposes name change
- Brown-Forman eyes family ties with board additions
- Castel acquires stake in Belvedere
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review