Analysis - Coca-Cola Co, PepsiCo should target sell-offs
Could Coca-Cola Co and PepsiCo target divestments in 2014?
In a note to clients late last week, Bernstein Research recommended that both soft drinks companies sell off their North American bottlers in the coming years. Such a move was described by the analyst as "likely... as long as pricing is not competitive and CSD volumes don't decline faster".
As well as its bottlers in North America, Coca-Cola may still sell its German bottler to Coca-Cola Enterprises, Bernstein suggested, although CCE has not yet taken up its option to buy the division.
PepsiCo, meanwhile, would benefit from a split of its global snacks operations, as the unit provides "faster growth" and is a "better business than beverages".
"We believe that more focused management, execution, and capital allocation generally could generate additional value for investors longer-term," said Bernstein of Coca-Cola and PepsiCo, as well as several US household & personal product companies. "Additionally, strategic buyers that can extract more value from divestments (ie, through greater synergies, local scale, and expertise) may be able to pay premium valuations and enhance the overall benefit to shareholders."
Since 2008, the analyst said, Coca-Cola has made 28 acquisitions and 16 divestments, the most notable being its stake in Mexico's Grupo Continental for US$2.3bn in 2011. PepsiCo, meanwhile has made 21 purchases and 16 sales in the last five years, with China Bottlers (Hong Kong) Ltd to Tingyi last year generating $600m.
The Coca-Cola Co (TCCC) is the leading player in both soft drinks and in HW soft drinks. The company’s strength is based on its diversity of category presence from HW carbonates to RTD tea and bottled...
In this month's look at sustainability issues in the drinks industry, Ben Cooper argues that, however much has been done in the past in this arena. there is always more that can - and should - be done...
PepsiCo Deutschland GmbH is the second biggest player in carbonates in Germany. The company offers a wide product portfolio within carbonates, covering cola and non-cola carbonates through well-known ...
PepsiCo India is one of the largest players in packaged foods and soft drinks in India. The holding became the new title sponsor of the Indian Premier League (IPL) for five seasons starting from 2013....
The price war which started after the economic crisis between Coca-Cola Enterprises Sverige AB and Pepsi by Carlsberg Sverige AB ended in 2013, resulting in surging unit prices of Coca-Cola Enterprise...
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Where Beer is Brewed Can Leave a Bad Taste
- Analysis - Storm clouds lift over Diageo Towers
- Hail Marie Brizard: But, For How Long?
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research