Analysis - Carlsberg's Russia woes continue but H1 "ticked some boxes"
Russia is a key market for Carlsberg
Carlsberg's first-half results do not yet signal a Russian turnaround, but the Danish brewer is on the right track in the difficult market, an analyst has said.
The company has “ticked some of the boxes on Russia”, Nomura's Ian Shackleton said today (22 August) after Carlsberg yesterday released its H1 numbers. The brewer has gained market share in Russia - which together with Ukraine accounts for about 40% of group EBIT - and posted an “accelerating price/mix”, Shackleton said.
Margin recovery is also “on track”, the analyst added.
The Russian beer market declined by around 7% in H1, as disruption from the enforced closure of beer kiosks hampered performance, Carlsberg said yesterday. Regulations on alcohol adversing have also hurt brewers in the country, but Carlsberg said it continued to improve market share in H1.
Shackleton said the outlook for the Russian beer market is a low-single digit decline in H2.
In this, the final part of just-drinks' management briefing for January, Euromonitor takes a look at what the year ahead has in store for the global brewing industry....
- Industry is following the pack to patriotic party
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Brown-Forman shuffles director pack
- Diageo unveils first European Johnnie Walker House
- Spirits can fill music industry gap - Jagermeister
- Wm Grant redesigns Glenfiddich 21yo Gran Reserva
- Consumers want brands that challenge them - study
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China