Blog: Yes, but... HOW MUCH?!
Olly Wehring | 27 November 2009
The British Beer & Pub Association is certainly to be applauded for its latest attempt to drum up some love - and custom - for the UK on-trade. The video below has been launched on Youtube today (27 November).
It is difficult, however, to feel too fond of the on-trade in this country, when, of occasion, it lets itself down, as it did in our eyes yesterday.
Last night, at the Apollo Theatre on Shaftesbury Avenue in London, yours truly treated himself and Ms just-drinks to a can (that's, a can) of Guinness and a glass (plastic) of red wine. Total cost? GBP11 (US$18.15).
Meanwhile, on the other side of town, m'colleague was enjoying a concert at Koko in Camden. He wasn't, however, enjoying his can (again, a can) of Kronenbourg, for which he had to stump up GBP4.20.
Now, I'm not the biggest fan of cheap drink promotions - it's all a bit tawdry, isn't it? - but a captive audience is clearly giving some on-trade outlets the excuse to charge what they wish.
And that really shouldn't be on.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Heineken Q1 2017 by region - results data
- Remy Cointreau Fiscal-2017 sales - results data
- Soft drinks is losing the recycling game
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Scotch sales set to soar, despite recent struggles
- TWE's Beringer Main & Vine Dry Rosé - NPD
- Edrington shifts innovation to US in shake-up
- Pernod Ricard posts solid YTD sales jump - results
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends