Blog: Yes, but... HOW MUCH?!
Olly Wehring | 27 November 2009
The British Beer & Pub Association is certainly to be applauded for its latest attempt to drum up some love - and custom - for the UK on-trade. The video below has been launched on Youtube today (27 November).
It is difficult, however, to feel too fond of the on-trade in this country, when, of occasion, it lets itself down, as it did in our eyes yesterday.
Last night, at the Apollo Theatre on Shaftesbury Avenue in London, yours truly treated himself and Ms just-drinks to a can (that's, a can) of Guinness and a glass (plastic) of red wine. Total cost? GBP11 (US$18.15).
Meanwhile, on the other side of town, m'colleague was enjoying a concert at Koko in Camden. He wasn't, however, enjoying his can (again, a can) of Kronenbourg, for which he had to stump up GBP4.20.
Now, I'm not the biggest fan of cheap drink promotions - it's all a bit tawdry, isn't it? - but a captive audience is clearly giving some on-trade outlets the excuse to charge what they wish.
And that really shouldn't be on.
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Signs of life in Japan's beer market - Comment
- Pernod Ricard's Method and Madness Irish whiskey
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Diageo faces US$68m payout after SAP court loss
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends