Blog: Yes, but... HOW MUCH?!
Olly Wehring | 27 November 2009
The British Beer & Pub Association is certainly to be applauded for its latest attempt to drum up some love - and custom - for the UK on-trade. The video below has been launched on Youtube today (27 November).
It is difficult, however, to feel too fond of the on-trade in this country, when, of occasion, it lets itself down, as it did in our eyes yesterday.
Last night, at the Apollo Theatre on Shaftesbury Avenue in London, yours truly treated himself and Ms just-drinks to a can (that's, a can) of Guinness and a glass (plastic) of red wine. Total cost? GBP11 (US$18.15).
Meanwhile, on the other side of town, m'colleague was enjoying a concert at Koko in Camden. He wasn't, however, enjoying his can (again, a can) of Kronenbourg, for which he had to stump up GBP4.20.
Now, I'm not the biggest fan of cheap drink promotions - it's all a bit tawdry, isn't it? - but a captive audience is clearly giving some on-trade outlets the excuse to charge what they wish.
And that really shouldn't be on.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Will Coca-Cola Co’s Dunkin’ Donuts move pay off?
- Heineken's Q3 2016 results - Preview
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- Ten ways to successfully target older consumers
- Diageo weathers Thailand alcohol ban
- SWA's David Frost to leave for foreign office role
- Stock Spirits appointments provoke investor unrest
- Heineken's YTD performance by region - Focus
- Seedlip eyes global growth with export deal
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends