Blog: WSTA's loss is BSDA's gain with Partington appointment
James Wilmore | 10 July 2012
It's taken a while, six months in fact, but the British Soft Drinks Association (BSDA) has finally found a new boss. And I think the wait will be worth its while.
Gavin Partington, who began his career as a political broadcast journalist, is a vastly experienced corporate communications bod, who knows how the Westminster machine works, and, equally important, how to present an argument.
Anyone who has heard him on BBC Radio 4's Today programme defend the drinks industry over the threat of minimum pricing on numerous occasions, will know he is not easily flustered - even in the face of a thorny issue ... and John Humphrys.
It also helps that he's an affable and approachable chap.
But, he'll need all these qualities in his role as the BSDA's director general. One issue that will regularly crop up in Partington's inbox will, of course, be the soft drinks industry's role in tackling obesity. Sorting out the "problems" around alcohol is still a big focus for the UK government, but obesity is almost of equal importance.
After four years at the Wine and Spirit Trade Association (WSTA), it's a shame Partington never made it to the top job. Perhaps he tired of fighting the good fight over minimum pricing, as the political argument has all but been lost.
Meanwhile, the WSTA's new boss, Miles Beale, a newcomer to the drinks industry, will have to cope without the hand-holding of Partington.
To me, it appears that the WSTA's loss is the BSDA's gain.
When it comes to market speculation, a company holds the prerogative to comment or not. Most times it is the latter, but we journalists are always grateful for any quote that we can get....
Carlsberg's Russian unit may be grinding down the gears, but its UK marketing team is proving to be no slouches. ...
On Monday, 4 May, just-drinks will be closed, as it is a public holiday in the UK....
To London yesterday evening for what turned out to be quite a treat of a whisky tasting....
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- Comment - A New Age of VR Marketing?
- just The Facts - The Global Wine Industry
- Analysis - Will Diageo call time on wine?
- CCE head shines light on price talks
- Diageo considers wine operations sale
- NPD: Bacardi's Bacardi Carta Fuego
- A-B InBev approves new chairman
- Coca-Cola Co promotes North America chief
- Bacardi widens Craigellachie footprint to Asia
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo Plc in Wine (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets