Blog: World Cup heist is small beer
James Wilmore | 18 July 2014
Beer consumption in Germany - already pretty impressive - will undoubtedly have enjoyed a spike following celebrations over the nation's FIFA World Cup win.
But some unidentified thieves appear to have done their best to cash in on the situation. In the lead-up to the tournament's climax, around 300,000 litres - ten truckloads - of beer were stolen in the Rhineland, the Wall Street Journal reported.
However, as the WSJ notes: "By German consumption standards... ten truckloads of beer is little more than a drop in the barrel. According to statistics from the German Brewers' Federation, it would take Germans drinking at their 2013 pace approximately 18 minutes and 22 seconds to consume 300,000 litres of beer."
So, even if some celebrating fans were supping 'hooky' brews, it won't have taken long for the evidence to be lost.
Police may have to say 'auf wiedersehen' to this particular case.
Sectors: Beer & cider
It would appear that the folk at the UK arm of Carlsberg have this year found the 'gimmicky' drawer in the marketing office....
Earlier today, Diageo and Heineken announced the dissolution of their joint venture in South Africa and Namibia with Namibian Breweries Ltd (NBL). Here are the full details behind the transaction....
It's a popular grizzle and one I'll admit to having on at least one or two occasions… a day. Why do people post photos of their food and/or drink on to my social media feed?...
After a 2014 it'll want to forget, Treasury Wine Estates has some good news....
The garden shed is usually home to some spiders, a lawnmower and a few half-empty paint tins. ...
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- SABMiller's Q1 Sales Performance by Region
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- Global business development head to quit Diageo
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research