Blog: World Cup heist is small beer
James Wilmore | 18 July 2014
Beer consumption in Germany - already pretty impressive - will undoubtedly have enjoyed a spike following celebrations over the nation's FIFA World Cup win.
But some unidentified thieves appear to have done their best to cash in on the situation. In the lead-up to the tournament's climax, around 300,000 litres - ten truckloads - of beer were stolen in the Rhineland, the Wall Street Journal reported.
However, as the WSJ notes: "By German consumption standards... ten truckloads of beer is little more than a drop in the barrel. According to statistics from the German Brewers' Federation, it would take Germans drinking at their 2013 pace approximately 18 minutes and 22 seconds to consume 300,000 litres of beer."
So, even if some celebrating fans were supping 'hooky' brews, it won't have taken long for the evidence to be lost.
Police may have to say 'auf wiedersehen' to this particular case.
Sectors: Beer & cider
We had some technical problems with the just-drinks site yesterday....
Molson Coors has announced a GBP2.8m (US$4.3m) marketing campaign for its Coors Light brand in the UK...
No self-respecting rapper is without some affiliation to a booze brand. Vodka is de rigueur, thanks to P Diddy and his tie-up with Diageo and Ciroc. ...
Is this the true breakfast of champions?...
We are well served in the drinks industry by quality advertising campaigns....
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Pernod Ricard's FY fiscal-2015 - Preview
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Pernod Ricard releases social medial guide
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research