Blog: World Cup comes to England
Michelle Russell | 11 March 2010
The World Cup trophy came to the UK today, after its short flight from Rome earlier this week.
I was lucky enough to be invited to a Coca-Cola-sponsored FIFA event this morning in London, to get familiar with the iconic trophy before it continues its journey around the world before touching down in South Africa in time for the beginning of the tournament on 11 June.
Speaking at the event, hosted at the South African High Commission in Trafalgar Square, Coca-Cola Great Britain president Sanjay Guha spoke of the firm's Replenish Africa Initiative (RAIN) 'Water for Schools' project to help provide safe drinking water for schools in Africa.
"At Coca-Cola we are determined to use the power of FIFA World Cup to leave a lasting legacy for good across Africa, long after the final whistle has blown," Sanjay said after we'd enjoyed a live performance of the soundtrack to the World Cup.
Then, we filed past the guarded trophy for any football fan's dream - our photo opportunity.
What are the chances of the World Cup returning to these shores on 11 July?
"Bye, then!" I chirruped.
Michelle Russell, senior news reporter
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Drinks industry's gender failure - Consumer Trends
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Fruit-flavoured beer? Think of the kids - Comment
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Gallo's vineyard footprint in California - The map
- Anheuser-Busch readies US executive switches
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Asahi’s Peroni Ambra - NPD
- Irish whiskey hails bid to relax distillery sales
- Heineken snaps up Stellenbrau craft brewery
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends