Blog: World Cup comes to England
Michelle Russell | 11 March 2010
The World Cup trophy came to the UK today, after its short flight from Rome earlier this week.
I was lucky enough to be invited to a Coca-Cola-sponsored FIFA event this morning in London, to get familiar with the iconic trophy before it continues its journey around the world before touching down in South Africa in time for the beginning of the tournament on 11 June.
Speaking at the event, hosted at the South African High Commission in Trafalgar Square, Coca-Cola Great Britain president Sanjay Guha spoke of the firm's Replenish Africa Initiative (RAIN) 'Water for Schools' project to help provide safe drinking water for schools in Africa.
"At Coca-Cola we are determined to use the power of FIFA World Cup to leave a lasting legacy for good across Africa, long after the final whistle has blown," Sanjay said after we'd enjoyed a live performance of the soundtrack to the World Cup.
Then, we filed past the guarded trophy for any football fan's dream - our photo opportunity.
What are the chances of the World Cup returning to these shores on 11 July?
"Bye, then!" I chirruped.
Michelle Russell, senior news reporter
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- Interview, Philip Gregan, New Zealand Winegrowers
- Remy Cointreau's bellwether Q3 - analysis
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- Diageo mulls United Spirits stake buy - report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits