Blog: World Cup 2006 - how far is too far?
Olly Wehring | 1 June 2006
With the World Cup drawing ever closer, I don't know how it is where you are, but here in England we're getting pretty carried away... again.
Two years ago, during Euro 2004, the streets here were hit by a flag epidemic, with nigh-on every car sporting its own St. George's flag. The impromptu-feel of the flags then has been taken away this time, however, with everyone and anyone trying to sell England 'fan-packs.'
A story from on-trade publication the Publican today confirms that some may be taking things too far.
A licensee in Manchester has painted his entire pub with a St. George's flag. His wife commented: "It's been worth it because the customer reaction has been great. People just want the tournament to start now."
I'd imagine their neighbours want it to end pretty quickly as well.
It would appear that the folk at the UK arm of Carlsberg have this year found the 'gimmicky' drawer in the marketing office....
It's a popular grizzle and one I'll admit to having on at least one or two occasions… a day. Why do people post photos of their food and/or drink on to my social media feed?...
After a 2014 it'll want to forget, Treasury Wine Estates has some good news....
The garden shed is usually home to some spiders, a lawnmower and a few half-empty paint tins. ...
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- It's not all bad for Diageo - Analysis
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Brand
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Tesco pulls small carton-size Ribena, Rubicon, Cap
- Whyte & Mackay brings RumChata to UK
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research