Blog: Wine's slow, steady sparkle
Chris Brook-Carter | 21 October 2011
I am just putting together the final touches to my presentation on non-Champagne sparkling wine for the International Sparkling Wine Symposium in 10 days time.
Our friends at The IWSR have just sent through their latest forecasts for the sector and, once again, sparkling wine is proving one of the quiet successes of the drinks industry.
Despite the recession and continued economic difficulties, the market is forecast to reach 200m nine-litre case by 2016, up from 150m in 2005 and the current 176m. Sparkling wine has been growing worldwide at a CAGR of 2.9%. While that's due to flatten out a little to 2.3% from now until 2016, there are still many regions where that worldwide number will be easily beaten.
Of course, if you want to hear why and where it is being successful, you'll need to be at the event in two weeks, or at least monitor these pages from Tuesday onwards.
But the breadth of markets, where it's seeing growth and the large number of positive trends driving success (allied to the lack of serious marketing muscle) makes it one of the more colourful drinks categories.
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Heineken goes from strength to strength - Analysis
- Key trends for the alcohol category in 2017
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- Heineken 2012-2016 - results data
- Treasury Wine Estates CEO - Interview Pt II
- Non-alcoholic Heineken set to hit Europe - CEO
- Beam Suntory revamps Bowmore whisky packaging
- Rum braced for falling volumes in years ahead
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Asahi Group lifts 2016 sales, profits
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends