Blog: Wine's slow, steady sparkle
Chris Brook-Carter | 21 October 2011
I am just putting together the final touches to my presentation on non-Champagne sparkling wine for the International Sparkling Wine Symposium in 10 days time.
Our friends at The IWSR have just sent through their latest forecasts for the sector and, once again, sparkling wine is proving one of the quiet successes of the drinks industry.
Despite the recession and continued economic difficulties, the market is forecast to reach 200m nine-litre case by 2016, up from 150m in 2005 and the current 176m. Sparkling wine has been growing worldwide at a CAGR of 2.9%. While that's due to flatten out a little to 2.3% from now until 2016, there are still many regions where that worldwide number will be easily beaten.
Of course, if you want to hear why and where it is being successful, you'll need to be at the event in two weeks, or at least monitor these pages from Tuesday onwards.
But the breadth of markets, where it's seeing growth and the large number of positive trends driving success (allied to the lack of serious marketing muscle) makes it one of the more colourful drinks categories.
We had some technical problems with the just-drinks site yesterday....
No self-respecting rapper is without some affiliation to a booze brand. Vodka is de rigueur, thanks to P Diddy and his tie-up with Diageo and Ciroc. ...
Is this the true breakfast of champions?...
We are well served in the drinks industry by quality advertising campaigns....
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Are we about to see a no-alcohol Heineken?
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- A-B InBev's Global Presence - just The Facts
- Concha y Toro's H1 performance - Focus
- Heineken integrates cider and beer
- Diageo strengthens Charmer Sunbelt distribution
- “New normal” sees Pernod target premium in China
- Pernod Ricard keen to stem Absolut US declines
- Heineken adds to UK on-trade footprint
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research