Blog: Wine's slow, steady sparkle
Chris Brook-Carter | 21 October 2011
I am just putting together the final touches to my presentation on non-Champagne sparkling wine for the International Sparkling Wine Symposium in 10 days time.
Our friends at The IWSR have just sent through their latest forecasts for the sector and, once again, sparkling wine is proving one of the quiet successes of the drinks industry.
Despite the recession and continued economic difficulties, the market is forecast to reach 200m nine-litre case by 2016, up from 150m in 2005 and the current 176m. Sparkling wine has been growing worldwide at a CAGR of 2.9%. While that's due to flatten out a little to 2.3% from now until 2016, there are still many regions where that worldwide number will be easily beaten.
Of course, if you want to hear why and where it is being successful, you'll need to be at the event in two weeks, or at least monitor these pages from Tuesday onwards.
But the breadth of markets, where it's seeing growth and the large number of positive trends driving success (allied to the lack of serious marketing muscle) makes it one of the more colourful drinks categories.
To support the release of its latest report, entitled ‘The Economic Impact of Scotch Whisky Production in the UK’, trade body The Scotch Whisky Association has released this video, highlighting the si...
One, perhaps minor, consequence of the conflict in Ukraine appears to be a fall in sales of Russian vodka in the country....
Diageo has jumped onboard Google's latest interactive maps and is opening up the virtual doors to four of its distilleries. ...
A very early start today, with Carla Errazuriz from Concha y Toro's fine wine division picking me up from our Santiago hotel at 0700....
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Diageo's United Spirits stays in red in YTD
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages