Blog: Wine industry relying on China? Oh dear...
Olly Wehring | 24 November 2006
I have to say, even I was momentarily lost for words when I saw the recent estimates for the total global 2006 wine harvest. The Paris-based International Organisation of Wine and Vine (OIV) estimates the haul to reach 280m hectolitres this year. At the same time, the consumption of this year’s harvest is projected to reach around 238m hectolitres, leaving a gap of 42m hectolitres.
Isn’t that surplus about the same as the entire annual output from Spain?
The problem the industry faces is that, whilst the traditional wine markets of continental Europe continue to decline, it can no longer rely on the likes of the UK to act as a positive counterbalance. As such, the gap between production and consumption only looks set to grow.
Some optimistic producers now point to developing markets such as China as potential growth regions to take up slack. But as one long-time wine industry contact of mine told me this week: “When you start relying on the Far-East for growth you know you are really in the sh!t.”
Here in London, the second Wine Week has kicked off to coincide with UK wine trade event London Wine Fair. ...
Commuting in London is a drag. It’s overcrowded, sweaty and rarely goes to plan. In fact, it’s enough to turn a person to drink....
When it comes to market speculation, a company holds the prerogative to comment or not. Most times it is the latter, but we journalists are always grateful for any quote that we can get....
Carlsberg's Russian unit may be grinding down the gears, but its UK marketing team is proving to be no slouches. ...
- Will Tequila Learn from Scotch Whisky's Mistakes?
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Is Marketing Twisting the Meanings of Words?
- Solving the diet drinks dilemma in the US
- Analysis - The Value of Prosecco
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo opens Johnnie Walker House in Singapore
- SPI Group US, Canada sales chief departs
- Belvedere proposes name change
- Soaring Prosecco sales good for Champagne
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer