Blog: Wine industry relying on China? Oh dear...
Olly Wehring | 24 November 2006
I have to say, even I was momentarily lost for words when I saw the recent estimates for the total global 2006 wine harvest. The Paris-based International Organisation of Wine and Vine (OIV) estimates the haul to reach 280m hectolitres this year. At the same time, the consumption of this year’s harvest is projected to reach around 238m hectolitres, leaving a gap of 42m hectolitres.
Isn’t that surplus about the same as the entire annual output from Spain?
The problem the industry faces is that, whilst the traditional wine markets of continental Europe continue to decline, it can no longer rely on the likes of the UK to act as a positive counterbalance. As such, the gap between production and consumption only looks set to grow.
Some optimistic producers now point to developing markets such as China as potential growth regions to take up slack. But as one long-time wine industry contact of mine told me this week: “When you start relying on the Far-East for growth you know you are really in the sh!t.”
It seems even 250-year-old Cognac houses want to be like Google these days....
It's not even available on pre-order yet, but Apple's latest piece of kit has already got a breathalyser app....
just-drinks is now closed for the Easter weekend....
Last year was tough for The Coca-Cola Co. So staff in Atlanta won't be pleased to read that Pepsi has overtaken Diet Coke as the no. 2 soda brand in the US. ...
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- Comment - Will We Understand the Language of Rum?
- Focus - Coca-Cola's Q1 Performance by Region
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- BrewDog launches GBP25m crowd-funding attempt
- Africa "subdued" but Heineken sees Q1 rises
- Elements 8 revamps rum packaging
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report