Blog: Wine Evolution - Greetings from Paris
Olly Wehring | 1 February 2006
Today’s missive comes to you live and direct from Paris, where I’m attending the seventh annual Wine Evolution conference.
What initially started as a slightly depressing look at the western markets of the UK and Germany yesterday, has cranked up a gear today, as we’ve looked at the developing markets of Asia and the future for wine closures.
What’s been said before about the potential offered by the Chinese and Indian markets (for all beverage producers) doesn’t necessarily need repeating. However, hard and fast data on these countries is still hard to come by. So it was fascinating to hear the opinions of two people on the ground in these markets, both of which were clearly fired up by what could lie ahead.
A closer examination of the opportunities available for those entering the Japanese market, meanwhile, also shows that both the Old and New Worlds have a fair few adventures left ahead of them. Whereas imports into Japan in the first six months of last year slipped by 6%, the impressive performance of Yellow Tail – having sold 220,000 cases in its first year in the country - serves only to confirm the growing power of worldwide wine brands.
Earlier this morning, a lively workshop, including speakers for both natural and synthetic cork also showed that there’s life in the wine industry yet. With both sides arguing their respective corners, and screwcaps also added to the equation, this too is a story that we here at just-drinks will be keeping a close eye on for you.
Would the thought of working in a morgue stop you from drink driving? ...
You would be forgiven for thinking that the US cider boom is over. Sales growth of as much as 90% in the past few years has shrunk to double figures. ...
The drinks industry could do more to benefit from new technology. ...
The soft drinks world is abuzz today over what an executive shake-up at PepsiCo might mean to on-going speculation over CEO Indra Nooyi's successor....
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Guinness Nigeria sees YTD sales, profits tumble
- Bacardi recruits ex-News International exec
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends