Blog: Wine Evolution - Greetings from Paris
Olly Wehring | 1 February 2006
Today’s missive comes to you live and direct from Paris, where I’m attending the seventh annual Wine Evolution conference.
What initially started as a slightly depressing look at the western markets of the UK and Germany yesterday, has cranked up a gear today, as we’ve looked at the developing markets of Asia and the future for wine closures.
What’s been said before about the potential offered by the Chinese and Indian markets (for all beverage producers) doesn’t necessarily need repeating. However, hard and fast data on these countries is still hard to come by. So it was fascinating to hear the opinions of two people on the ground in these markets, both of which were clearly fired up by what could lie ahead.
A closer examination of the opportunities available for those entering the Japanese market, meanwhile, also shows that both the Old and New Worlds have a fair few adventures left ahead of them. Whereas imports into Japan in the first six months of last year slipped by 6%, the impressive performance of Yellow Tail – having sold 220,000 cases in its first year in the country - serves only to confirm the growing power of worldwide wine brands.
Earlier this morning, a lively workshop, including speakers for both natural and synthetic cork also showed that there’s life in the wine industry yet. With both sides arguing their respective corners, and screwcaps also added to the equation, this too is a story that we here at just-drinks will be keeping a close eye on for you.
It seems even 250-year-old Cognac houses want to be like Google these days....
It's not even available on pre-order yet, but Apple's latest piece of kit has already got a breathalyser app....
just-drinks is now closed for the Easter weekend....
Last year was tough for The Coca-Cola Co. So staff in Atlanta won't be pleased to read that Pepsi has overtaken Diet Coke as the no. 2 soda brand in the US. ...
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- Focus - Coca-Cola's Q1 Performance by Region
- Diet Coke "a work in progress" in US - Coca-Cola
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- BrewDog launches GBP25m crowd-funding attempt
- Africa "subdued" but Heineken sees Q1 rises
- Elements 8 revamps rum packaging
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research