Blog: Wine Evolution - Greetings from Paris
Olly Wehring | 1 February 2006
Today’s missive comes to you live and direct from Paris, where I’m attending the seventh annual Wine Evolution conference.
What initially started as a slightly depressing look at the western markets of the UK and Germany yesterday, has cranked up a gear today, as we’ve looked at the developing markets of Asia and the future for wine closures.
What’s been said before about the potential offered by the Chinese and Indian markets (for all beverage producers) doesn’t necessarily need repeating. However, hard and fast data on these countries is still hard to come by. So it was fascinating to hear the opinions of two people on the ground in these markets, both of which were clearly fired up by what could lie ahead.
A closer examination of the opportunities available for those entering the Japanese market, meanwhile, also shows that both the Old and New Worlds have a fair few adventures left ahead of them. Whereas imports into Japan in the first six months of last year slipped by 6%, the impressive performance of Yellow Tail – having sold 220,000 cases in its first year in the country - serves only to confirm the growing power of worldwide wine brands.
Earlier this morning, a lively workshop, including speakers for both natural and synthetic cork also showed that there’s life in the wine industry yet. With both sides arguing their respective corners, and screwcaps also added to the equation, this too is a story that we here at just-drinks will be keeping a close eye on for you.
Forget gluten-free. Fodmaps are the latest food trend, and if you work in the soft drinks industry it is important to know where you stand with them....
Companies are very protective of their brand image. So it is refreshing to hear Diageo's Garbhan O’Bric, the global brand director for Baileys, speak the unvarnished truth when talking about the lique...
Alcohol companies love a good movie tie-in. A brush with Hollywood glamour seems to give marketers the warm and fuzzies, judging by the number of deals done over the past few years. The new James Bond...
just-drinks is in Cannes this week at the Tax Free World Association show. Here's the second part of Andy Morton's blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of the most important dates in the Trave...
- Mahou San Miguel - just the Facts
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- A game of two halves for Remy Cointreau - Analysis
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- Britvic hits make-or-break time for US Fruit Shoot
- Beam Suntory to sell brandy & sherry to Emperador
- Former Diageo exec joins William Grant in LatAm
- Carlsberg "most likely" to buy Grolsch, Peroni
- A-B InBev mulls sale of Peroni, Grolsch - report
- A-B InBev embroiled in Caribbean "poison-pill" row
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Market 2015-2019
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts