Blog: Wine Evolution - Greetings from Paris
Olly Wehring | 1 February 2006
Today’s missive comes to you live and direct from Paris, where I’m attending the seventh annual Wine Evolution conference.
What initially started as a slightly depressing look at the western markets of the UK and Germany yesterday, has cranked up a gear today, as we’ve looked at the developing markets of Asia and the future for wine closures.
What’s been said before about the potential offered by the Chinese and Indian markets (for all beverage producers) doesn’t necessarily need repeating. However, hard and fast data on these countries is still hard to come by. So it was fascinating to hear the opinions of two people on the ground in these markets, both of which were clearly fired up by what could lie ahead.
A closer examination of the opportunities available for those entering the Japanese market, meanwhile, also shows that both the Old and New Worlds have a fair few adventures left ahead of them. Whereas imports into Japan in the first six months of last year slipped by 6%, the impressive performance of Yellow Tail – having sold 220,000 cases in its first year in the country - serves only to confirm the growing power of worldwide wine brands.
Earlier this morning, a lively workshop, including speakers for both natural and synthetic cork also showed that there’s life in the wine industry yet. With both sides arguing their respective corners, and screwcaps also added to the equation, this too is a story that we here at just-drinks will be keeping a close eye on for you.
The long-running spat between US and Czech brewers stepped up a notch this week after the Czech president described American beer as “filthy water”....
I've stopped short of covering it as a product launch story on just-drinks, but take a look at this. Released this month in the UK, Snuffle Dog Beer is already available in 25 markets....
PepsiCo received high praise when it announced it was to launch its stevia-based Pepsi extension True exclusively on Amazon in the US....
Sean 'Diddy' Combs, the US rapper and entrepreneur, has publicly turned against his apparent former favourite Tequlia brand, Patron, now that he is joint-owner of DeLeón Tequila....
- Can Coca-Cola fuel SABMiller's soft drinks story?
- Is “Craft” the Next Big Thing for Soft Drinks?
- Why Chinese beverages won't conquer the world
- Petropolis Finally Moving into SABMiller's View?
- Gin: Plymouth's from Plymouth, London's from...?
- Diageo confirms Australia abv drops
- Pernod launches online Ballantine's "experiment"
- Global vodka sales slip in 2013 - research
- SABMiller returns to Brazil with Petropolis tie-up
- Smirnoff tops UK shopping list - figures
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Forecast Report - 2014-2019 Global Review
- Global Tequila Market 2014-2018