Blog: Wine Evolution 2006 – Quote, unquote II
Olly Wehring | 31 January 2006
Today’s key quotes from the wine industry’s leading lights at this year’s Wine Evolution conference in Paris.
“The impressive performance of Beaujolais Nouveau in Japan in recent times could suggest to the Southern Hemisphere that it too should consider a version of nouveau to highlight its portfolio in Japan.” – Lisa Perrotti-Brown, purchasing manager, Millesimes.
“India’s current per capita wine consumption stands at 0.006 litres – that’s almost 50 times less than China’s! Growth over the last three years, however, has been 25% in volume and 30% in value. 600,000 cases of wine were consumed in India last year; by 2010, India should hit 1.8m cases.” – Rajeev Samant, CEO Sula Vineyards.
“If you consider that movies mirror society, ten years ago you never saw the heroine (in an Indian film) with a glass of wine or a cigarette. You still never see them with a cigarette, but now you often see women with a glass of something and it’s almost always wine.” - Rajeev Samant.
“Our challenge is to defeat something that is measured in nanograms. If you’re going to do that, then you’re going to need science.” – Carlos de Jesus, marketing and communication director, natural cork producer Amorim.
“The debate is only beginning – people nowadays talk about substitutes for cork, not alternatives to cork. That alone shows that the debate is far from over.” – Carlos de Jesus.
“Not all synthetic corks are the same, and this is something that is not clear in the industry. You can have many different raw materials. It’s a question of education.” – Stefano Alderuccio, vice president European Sales, Supreme Corq.
“A lot of wineries seem to be taking a wait-and-see approach when it comes to screwcap – it’s very much a chicken-and-egg scenario. With synthetic corks, however, it would appear that the wine producers considering the closure have already changed to it – it’s maxed out.” Marc Engel, head of wines practice, B/R/S.
This weekend, Bacardi is hosting a three-day music event on the private island of Palomino just off the coast of Puerto Rico....
Warmest thanks to all of you who filled in our annual readers' survey this month. The results are very important for us to learn from and look to improve our service to you....
Today's news that German spirits firm Mast-Jägermeister has joined UK responsible drinking organisation The Portman Group may raise eyebrows in some quarters....
Whisk(e)y companies spend a lot of money and effort ageing their products for that premium taste....
- Scotch's Slipping Crown: Convenient for Diageo?
- Can Beer Learn from Keurig and Nespresso?
- C&C Group 'puzzled' by Spirit Pub Co rejection
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q3 & YTD
- English Gin Breaks Away From its Core Markets
- Diageo partner Beckham turned down Beck's deal
- Whisky downturn slows Diageo's Scotch spend
- Mast-Jägermeister targets UK off-trade boost
- EXCLUSIVE - Mast-Jaegermeister, TWE join watchdog
- SABMiller announces management reshuffle
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Wine in the United Kingdom