Blog: Wine Evolution 2006 – Quote, unquote II
Olly Wehring | 31 January 2006
Today’s key quotes from the wine industry’s leading lights at this year’s Wine Evolution conference in Paris.
“The impressive performance of Beaujolais Nouveau in Japan in recent times could suggest to the Southern Hemisphere that it too should consider a version of nouveau to highlight its portfolio in Japan.” – Lisa Perrotti-Brown, purchasing manager, Millesimes.
“India’s current per capita wine consumption stands at 0.006 litres – that’s almost 50 times less than China’s! Growth over the last three years, however, has been 25% in volume and 30% in value. 600,000 cases of wine were consumed in India last year; by 2010, India should hit 1.8m cases.” – Rajeev Samant, CEO Sula Vineyards.
“If you consider that movies mirror society, ten years ago you never saw the heroine (in an Indian film) with a glass of wine or a cigarette. You still never see them with a cigarette, but now you often see women with a glass of something and it’s almost always wine.” - Rajeev Samant.
“Our challenge is to defeat something that is measured in nanograms. If you’re going to do that, then you’re going to need science.” – Carlos de Jesus, marketing and communication director, natural cork producer Amorim.
“The debate is only beginning – people nowadays talk about substitutes for cork, not alternatives to cork. That alone shows that the debate is far from over.” – Carlos de Jesus.
“Not all synthetic corks are the same, and this is something that is not clear in the industry. You can have many different raw materials. It’s a question of education.” – Stefano Alderuccio, vice president European Sales, Supreme Corq.
“A lot of wineries seem to be taking a wait-and-see approach when it comes to screwcap – it’s very much a chicken-and-egg scenario. With synthetic corks, however, it would appear that the wine producers considering the closure have already changed to it – it’s maxed out.” Marc Engel, head of wines practice, B/R/S.
It would appear that the folk at the UK arm of Carlsberg have this year found the 'gimmicky' drawer in the marketing office....
It's a popular grizzle and one I'll admit to having on at least one or two occasions… a day. Why do people post photos of their food and/or drink on to my social media feed?...
After a 2014 it'll want to forget, Treasury Wine Estates has some good news....
The garden shed is usually home to some spiders, a lawnmower and a few half-empty paint tins. ...
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- It's not all bad for Diageo - Analysis
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Tesco pulls small carton-size Ribena, Rubicon, Cap
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research