Blog: Wine Evolution 2006 – Quote, unquote II
Olly Wehring | 31 January 2006
Today’s key quotes from the wine industry’s leading lights at this year’s Wine Evolution conference in Paris.
“The impressive performance of Beaujolais Nouveau in Japan in recent times could suggest to the Southern Hemisphere that it too should consider a version of nouveau to highlight its portfolio in Japan.” – Lisa Perrotti-Brown, purchasing manager, Millesimes.
“India’s current per capita wine consumption stands at 0.006 litres – that’s almost 50 times less than China’s! Growth over the last three years, however, has been 25% in volume and 30% in value. 600,000 cases of wine were consumed in India last year; by 2010, India should hit 1.8m cases.” – Rajeev Samant, CEO Sula Vineyards.
“If you consider that movies mirror society, ten years ago you never saw the heroine (in an Indian film) with a glass of wine or a cigarette. You still never see them with a cigarette, but now you often see women with a glass of something and it’s almost always wine.” - Rajeev Samant.
“Our challenge is to defeat something that is measured in nanograms. If you’re going to do that, then you’re going to need science.” – Carlos de Jesus, marketing and communication director, natural cork producer Amorim.
“The debate is only beginning – people nowadays talk about substitutes for cork, not alternatives to cork. That alone shows that the debate is far from over.” – Carlos de Jesus.
“Not all synthetic corks are the same, and this is something that is not clear in the industry. You can have many different raw materials. It’s a question of education.” – Stefano Alderuccio, vice president European Sales, Supreme Corq.
“A lot of wineries seem to be taking a wait-and-see approach when it comes to screwcap – it’s very much a chicken-and-egg scenario. With synthetic corks, however, it would appear that the wine producers considering the closure have already changed to it – it’s maxed out.” Marc Engel, head of wines practice, B/R/S.
We had some technical problems with the just-drinks site yesterday....
No self-respecting rapper is without some affiliation to a booze brand. Vodka is de rigueur, thanks to P Diddy and his tie-up with Diageo and Ciroc. ...
Is this the true breakfast of champions?...
We are well served in the drinks industry by quality advertising campaigns....
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Amazon adds alcohol to one-hour delivery service
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research