Blog: Wine Evolution 2006 – Quote, unquote II
Olly Wehring | 31 January 2006
Today’s key quotes from the wine industry’s leading lights at this year’s Wine Evolution conference in Paris.
“The impressive performance of Beaujolais Nouveau in Japan in recent times could suggest to the Southern Hemisphere that it too should consider a version of nouveau to highlight its portfolio in Japan.” – Lisa Perrotti-Brown, purchasing manager, Millesimes.
“India’s current per capita wine consumption stands at 0.006 litres – that’s almost 50 times less than China’s! Growth over the last three years, however, has been 25% in volume and 30% in value. 600,000 cases of wine were consumed in India last year; by 2010, India should hit 1.8m cases.” – Rajeev Samant, CEO Sula Vineyards.
“If you consider that movies mirror society, ten years ago you never saw the heroine (in an Indian film) with a glass of wine or a cigarette. You still never see them with a cigarette, but now you often see women with a glass of something and it’s almost always wine.” - Rajeev Samant.
“Our challenge is to defeat something that is measured in nanograms. If you’re going to do that, then you’re going to need science.” – Carlos de Jesus, marketing and communication director, natural cork producer Amorim.
“The debate is only beginning – people nowadays talk about substitutes for cork, not alternatives to cork. That alone shows that the debate is far from over.” – Carlos de Jesus.
“Not all synthetic corks are the same, and this is something that is not clear in the industry. You can have many different raw materials. It’s a question of education.” – Stefano Alderuccio, vice president European Sales, Supreme Corq.
“A lot of wineries seem to be taking a wait-and-see approach when it comes to screwcap – it’s very much a chicken-and-egg scenario. With synthetic corks, however, it would appear that the wine producers considering the closure have already changed to it – it’s maxed out.” Marc Engel, head of wines practice, B/R/S.
It seems even 250-year-old Cognac houses want to be like Google these days....
It's not even available on pre-order yet, but Apple's latest piece of kit has already got a breathalyser app....
just-drinks is now closed for the Easter weekend....
Last year was tough for The Coca-Cola Co. So staff in Atlanta won't be pleased to read that Pepsi has overtaken Diet Coke as the no. 2 soda brand in the US. ...
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- Heineken seeks "clarity" in Indonesia
- Diet Coke "a work in progress" in US - Coca-Cola
- Pernod Ricard unveils new Absolut bottle
- Beam Suntory to strip down regional units
- Diageo's United Spirits calls on Mallya to quit
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets