Blog: Wine duty forecast: Is this a joke?
Chris Mercer | 30 November 2011
The UK Government thinks that, by 2017, its duty tax receipts on wine will have risen by 58% in value.
That's according to forecasts published the the Government's Office of Budget Responsibility (OBR) yesterday (29 November). Even allowing for a continuation of the duty tax escalator on drinks, at 2% above inflation, until at least 2015, this is a bold forecast.
The OBR only makes predictions based on current policy, so it is not basing its prediction on tax rises on wine above the escalator level.
Clearly, then, it is at least partly based on rises in wine consumption by volume over the period. Has the Government seen a UK wine market report this side of the Lehman Brothers meltdown? Growth has been hard to come by.
This weekend, Bacardi is hosting a three-day music event on the private island of Palomino just off the coast of Puerto Rico....
Warmest thanks to all of you who filled in our annual readers' survey this month. The results are very important for us to learn from and look to improve our service to you....
Today's news that German spirits firm Mast-Jägermeister has joined UK responsible drinking organisation The Portman Group may raise eyebrows in some quarters....
Whisk(e)y companies spend a lot of money and effort ageing their products for that premium taste....
- Scotch's Slipping Crown: Convenient for Diageo?
- Comment - Has Scotch Whisky Jumped the Shark?
- Can Beer Learn from Keurig and Nespresso?
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q3 & YTD
- C&C Group 'puzzled' by Spirit Pub Co rejection
- Diageo partner Beckham turned down Beck's deal
- Whisky downturn slows Diageo's Scotch spend
- Mast-Jägermeister targets UK off-trade boost
- EXCLUSIVE - Mast-Jaegermeister, TWE join watchdog
- SABMiller announces management reshuffle
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Global Trends Report 2014
- Wine in the United Kingdom
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review