Blog: Wind and whisky
Michelle Russell | 20 July 2009
Just-drinks was fortunate enough to be invited to William Grant & Sons' Glenfiddich distillery in the Scottish highlands last week.
Having reported only the previous day on opposition for Moray Council’s plans for a 59-turbine wind farm on the Glenfiddich estate, I was intrigued to see what the fuss was about.
William Grant said the proposals would "damage the beauty of the local environment" and local campaigners believe the farm will put people off visiting the area if the application is successful."
Driving through Scotland’s unspoilt countryside last week, I could understand why locals are loathe to see its landscape altered with the addition of a wind farm. On the flip side, however, I doubt very much, judging by the volume of interest I witnessed in the distillery, that it will have a major impact on the tourism.
I’m told thousands of visitors, both young and old, flock to the Dufftown distillery each year, and I can’t see that changing any time soon.
For anyone who appreciates a good whisky, a trip to Dufftown is a must, with more distilleries in the surrounding area than there are hours in a day.
If anything, the torrential rain should have put me off, however, I did feel it added to the authenticity of my visit.
I wouldn’t have had it any other way.
By just-drinks' reporter, Michelle Russell.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- Interview, Fever-Tree's founders
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Diageo rolls out vegan Baileys Almande Almondmilk
- Brexit paperwork offers alcohol smuggling opp's
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends