Blog: Wind and whisky
Michelle Russell | 20 July 2009
Just-drinks was fortunate enough to be invited to William Grant & Sons' Glenfiddich distillery in the Scottish highlands last week.
Having reported only the previous day on opposition for Moray Council’s plans for a 59-turbine wind farm on the Glenfiddich estate, I was intrigued to see what the fuss was about.
William Grant said the proposals would "damage the beauty of the local environment" and local campaigners believe the farm will put people off visiting the area if the application is successful."
Driving through Scotland’s unspoilt countryside last week, I could understand why locals are loathe to see its landscape altered with the addition of a wind farm. On the flip side, however, I doubt very much, judging by the volume of interest I witnessed in the distillery, that it will have a major impact on the tourism.
I’m told thousands of visitors, both young and old, flock to the Dufftown distillery each year, and I can’t see that changing any time soon.
For anyone who appreciates a good whisky, a trip to Dufftown is a must, with more distilleries in the surrounding area than there are hours in a day.
If anything, the torrential rain should have put me off, however, I did feel it added to the authenticity of my visit.
I wouldn’t have had it any other way.
By just-drinks' reporter, Michelle Russell.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Interview, Philip Gregan, New Zealand Winegrowers
- Remy Cointreau's bellwether Q3 - analysis
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Diageo mulls United Spirits stake buy - report
- Remy Cointreau sets up whisky division
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits