Blog: Wind and whisky
Michelle Russell | 20 July 2009
Just-drinks was fortunate enough to be invited to William Grant & Sons' Glenfiddich distillery in the Scottish highlands last week.
Having reported only the previous day on opposition for Moray Council’s plans for a 59-turbine wind farm on the Glenfiddich estate, I was intrigued to see what the fuss was about.
William Grant said the proposals would "damage the beauty of the local environment" and local campaigners believe the farm will put people off visiting the area if the application is successful."
Driving through Scotland’s unspoilt countryside last week, I could understand why locals are loathe to see its landscape altered with the addition of a wind farm. On the flip side, however, I doubt very much, judging by the volume of interest I witnessed in the distillery, that it will have a major impact on the tourism.
I’m told thousands of visitors, both young and old, flock to the Dufftown distillery each year, and I can’t see that changing any time soon.
For anyone who appreciates a good whisky, a trip to Dufftown is a must, with more distilleries in the surrounding area than there are hours in a day.
If anything, the torrential rain should have put me off, however, I did feel it added to the authenticity of my visit.
I wouldn’t have had it any other way.
By just-drinks' reporter, Michelle Russell.
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
- How the can has a part to play in beer's future
- The Future of Cocktails - Consumer Trends
- Will Brexit make a winner out of Travel Retail?
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Coke Life - Coca-Cola's niche soda - Comment
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Diageo reveals revival plan for former factory
- US hits AB InBev with US$6bn fine over India sales
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends