Blog: William Grant & Sons makes fast work of Campari deal
Chris Mercer | 21 September 2010
William Grant & Sons says that it always planned to develop the liqueur brands it acquired from C&C Group alongside Tullamore Dew whiskey, but that the offer from Campari was too good. Do we believe this?
No sooner had the ink dried on William Grant's deal with C&C Group and Frangelico, Carolans and Irish Mist liqueurs were being farmed out to a new home in northern Italy for EUR129m (US$167.6m).
William Grant has been left with Tullamore Dew Irish whiskey, the brand that it arguably wanted all along. Both William Grant and Campari said that they got a good price in the subsequent liqueurs deal. William Grant's CEO, Stella David, also stressed that her firm did not go looking for a sale.
Something doesn't add up here.
Campari CEO Bob Kunze-Concewitz said of the deal: "The price of 7.5 times EBITDA is attractive. When you consider in our industry that the average of all the deals that have happened since 2004 has been 17 times - clearly it's a good deal."
William Grant, on the other hand, said that Campari offered it a "very attractive price" for the brands. If that's true, then William Grant can't have thought much of Frangelico and co in the first place, can it?
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- The just-drinks Analyst - 2017 forecasts
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Pernod Ricard's Absolut Lime - NPD
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- Diageo mulls United Spirits stake buy - report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits