Blog: William Grant & Sons makes fast work of Campari deal
Chris Mercer | 21 September 2010
William Grant & Sons says that it always planned to develop the liqueur brands it acquired from C&C Group alongside Tullamore Dew whiskey, but that the offer from Campari was too good. Do we believe this?
No sooner had the ink dried on William Grant's deal with C&C Group and Frangelico, Carolans and Irish Mist liqueurs were being farmed out to a new home in northern Italy for EUR129m (US$167.6m).
William Grant has been left with Tullamore Dew Irish whiskey, the brand that it arguably wanted all along. Both William Grant and Campari said that they got a good price in the subsequent liqueurs deal. William Grant's CEO, Stella David, also stressed that her firm did not go looking for a sale.
Something doesn't add up here.
Campari CEO Bob Kunze-Concewitz said of the deal: "The price of 7.5 times EBITDA is attractive. When you consider in our industry that the average of all the deals that have happened since 2004 has been 17 times - clearly it's a good deal."
William Grant, on the other hand, said that Campari offered it a "very attractive price" for the brands. If that's true, then William Grant can't have thought much of Frangelico and co in the first place, can it?
It would appear that the folk at the UK arm of Carlsberg have this year found the 'gimmicky' drawer in the marketing office....
It's a popular grizzle and one I'll admit to having on at least one or two occasions… a day. Why do people post photos of their food and/or drink on to my social media feed?...
After a 2014 it'll want to forget, Treasury Wine Estates has some good news....
The garden shed is usually home to some spiders, a lawnmower and a few half-empty paint tins. ...
- It's not all bad for Diageo - Analysis
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Brand
- Diageo upbeat on Scotch prospects
- Heineken CEO spies trouble ahead for UK
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- Diageo puts Bacardi in frame with white rum ads
- Edrington appoints new board director
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Heineken ups sales, profits despite volume squeeze
- Mast-Jagermeister closes Sidney Frank buy
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research