Blog: William Grant & Sons makes fast work of Campari deal
Chris Mercer | 21 September 2010
William Grant & Sons says that it always planned to develop the liqueur brands it acquired from C&C Group alongside Tullamore Dew whiskey, but that the offer from Campari was too good. Do we believe this?
No sooner had the ink dried on William Grant's deal with C&C Group and Frangelico, Carolans and Irish Mist liqueurs were being farmed out to a new home in northern Italy for EUR129m (US$167.6m).
William Grant has been left with Tullamore Dew Irish whiskey, the brand that it arguably wanted all along. Both William Grant and Campari said that they got a good price in the subsequent liqueurs deal. William Grant's CEO, Stella David, also stressed that her firm did not go looking for a sale.
Something doesn't add up here.
Campari CEO Bob Kunze-Concewitz said of the deal: "The price of 7.5 times EBITDA is attractive. When you consider in our industry that the average of all the deals that have happened since 2004 has been 17 times - clearly it's a good deal."
William Grant, on the other hand, said that Campari offered it a "very attractive price" for the brands. If that's true, then William Grant can't have thought much of Frangelico and co in the first place, can it?
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Whenever we read anything about Millennial consumers, there is almost always mention of the personalisation trend as well as the importance of social media....
Ever wondered what fuels Anheuser-Busch InBev's acquisitional drive? Is it naked ambition? Faith? The good of mankind?...
Anheuser-Busch InBev is reportedly calling a halt to its Seth Rogan and Amy Schumer Bud Light campaign in the US....
- Diageo NA head on Trump, Millennials, Bourbon
- Has Millennial-mania drowned out elder consumers?
- Interview - Loch Lomond GTR head Andre de Almeida
- Absolut and Smirnoff's conflicting Millennial view
- Brown-Forman's H1 performance by region, brand
- Coca-Cola CEO Muhtar Kent set to stand down
- Beam Suntory opens global headquarters in Chicago
- Diageo wine assets integration head to leave TWE
- Absolut not "sufficiently focussed" on Millennials
- Brown-Forman's barrel sales take Scotch hit
- Luxury Alcoholic Drinks: The Spirit of Premiumisation
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends