Blog: William Grant & Sons - Is 'quirky' a dirty word?
Olly Wehring | 30 January 2012
How would you feel if someone described your portfolio as being 'quirky'?
William Grant & Sons has more than its fair share of quirky: Hendrick's, Monkey Shoulder, Sailor Jerry and The Balvenie could all be justifiably described as being quirky (but don't, whatever you do, call any of them 'niche'). And I mean that as a compliment.
CEDC's Zubrowka vodka is certainly quirky. With a blade of bison-grass from Bialowieza Forest - one of the last primeval forests in Europe - in each bottle, the product will sit comfortably alongside William Grant's portfolio when the company's UK distribution unit, First Drinks, goes to market.
Would William Grant like to take things further, and maybe take ownership of the brand? With CEDC currently looking at ways to deal with its debt, don't be surprised if Grant's CEO, Stella David, asks CEDC's Bill Carey if he fancies a drink some time soon.
As things stand, I've been led to believe that William Grant doesn't have such an option on Zubrowka. Nevertheless, with Russian Standard's owner, Roustam Tariko, looking to up his stake in CEDC to around 30%, could we have a bison race on our hands before 2012 is out?
It seems even 250-year-old Cognac houses want to be like Google these days....
It's not even available on pre-order yet, but Apple's latest piece of kit has already got a breathalyser app....
just-drinks is now closed for the Easter weekend....
Last year was tough for The Coca-Cola Co. So staff in Atlanta won't be pleased to read that Pepsi has overtaken Diet Coke as the no. 2 soda brand in the US. ...
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- Heineken seeks "clarity" in Indonesia
- Diet Coke "a work in progress" in US - Coca-Cola
- Pernod Ricard unveils new Absolut bottle
- Beam Suntory to strip down regional units
- Diageo's United Spirits calls on Mallya to quit
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- PepsiCo US to replace aspartame in Diet Pepsi
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets