Blog: William Grant & Sons - Is 'quirky' a dirty word?
Olly Wehring | 30 January 2012
How would you feel if someone described your portfolio as being 'quirky'?
William Grant & Sons has more than its fair share of quirky: Hendrick's, Monkey Shoulder, Sailor Jerry and The Balvenie could all be justifiably described as being quirky (but don't, whatever you do, call any of them 'niche'). And I mean that as a compliment.
CEDC's Zubrowka vodka is certainly quirky. With a blade of bison-grass from Bialowieza Forest - one of the last primeval forests in Europe - in each bottle, the product will sit comfortably alongside William Grant's portfolio when the company's UK distribution unit, First Drinks, goes to market.
Would William Grant like to take things further, and maybe take ownership of the brand? With CEDC currently looking at ways to deal with its debt, don't be surprised if Grant's CEO, Stella David, asks CEDC's Bill Carey if he fancies a drink some time soon.
As things stand, I've been led to believe that William Grant doesn't have such an option on Zubrowka. Nevertheless, with Russian Standard's owner, Roustam Tariko, looking to up his stake in CEDC to around 30%, could we have a bison race on our hands before 2012 is out?
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- Remy Cointreau's YTD performance - Focus
- Remy Cointreau's bellwether Q3 - analysis
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- AB InBev targets South Africa with redundancy plan
- Pernod Ricard gives Beefeater 24 packaging revamp
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends