Blog: Will Russia ban bear fruit for Polish cider?
James Wilmore | 22 August 2014
Poland is hardly noted for its cider consumption, but all this could be about to change.
The reason? Russia's sanctions on European food imports. More than half of the apples produced (677,000 metric tons) in Poland go to Russia. But with the ban in place, growers are going to be left holding an awful lot of apples.
Aggrieved by the situation, the Polish press have come to the rescue by urging the country's population to eat more fruit and drink more cider, according to Bloomberg.
Like all good campaigns, Twitter is being utilised with the hashtags #jedzjablka and #eatapples proving popular.
It also marks a welcome change to Poland's attitude to cider after last month authorities banned C&C Group from having its Magners logo appear on the shirt of Celtic players during a football match in Warsaw.
Cider still only accounts for around 1% of all Poland's alcohol sales, according to Bloomberg. And even though the country’s cider production is predicted to grow five-fold to around 10m litres, according to the Polish Council of Winemaking, the demand won't offset the Russia loss.
Still, with all those extra apples being consumed, perhaps it will ensure a health boost for Poland's population.
Would the thought of working in a morgue stop you from drink driving? ...
You would be forgiven for thinking that the US cider boom is over. Sales growth of as much as 90% in the past few years has shrunk to double figures. ...
The drinks industry could do more to benefit from new technology. ...
The soft drinks world is abuzz today over what an executive shake-up at PepsiCo might mean to on-going speculation over CEO Indra Nooyi's successor....
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Interview - Harviestoun Brewery MD Toby Knowles
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Guinness Nigeria sees YTD sales, profits tumble
- Bacardi recruits ex-News International exec
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends