Blog: Will Russia ban bear fruit for Polish cider?
James Wilmore | 22 August 2014
Poland is hardly noted for its cider consumption, but all this could be about to change.
The reason? Russia's sanctions on European food imports. More than half of the apples produced (677,000 metric tons) in Poland go to Russia. But with the ban in place, growers are going to be left holding an awful lot of apples.
Aggrieved by the situation, the Polish press have come to the rescue by urging the country's population to eat more fruit and drink more cider, according to Bloomberg.
Like all good campaigns, Twitter is being utilised with the hashtags #jedzjablka and #eatapples proving popular.
It also marks a welcome change to Poland's attitude to cider after last month authorities banned C&C Group from having its Magners logo appear on the shirt of Celtic players during a football match in Warsaw.
Cider still only accounts for around 1% of all Poland's alcohol sales, according to Bloomberg. And even though the country’s cider production is predicted to grow five-fold to around 10m litres, according to the Polish Council of Winemaking, the demand won't offset the Russia loss.
Still, with all those extra apples being consumed, perhaps it will ensure a health boost for Poland's population.
To support the release of its latest report, entitled ‘The Economic Impact of Scotch Whisky Production in the UK’, trade body The Scotch Whisky Association has released this video, highlighting the si...
One, perhaps minor, consequence of the conflict in Ukraine appears to be a fall in sales of Russian vodka in the country....
Diageo has jumped onboard Google's latest interactive maps and is opening up the virtual doors to four of its distilleries. ...
A very early start today, with Carla Errazuriz from Concha y Toro's fine wine division picking me up from our Santiago hotel at 0700....
- Comment - Diageo Steps Up Defence of Haig Club
- just the Facts - Top 20 US Beers by Value, Volume
- Remy, dead cats and the power of China's new year
- just the Preview - Diageo Q2 & H1
- Will Lucas Bols' IPO Bring Much-Needed Stability?
- Diageo speaks out over supplier contract changes
- Brown-Forman appoints Jack Daniel's president
- Diageo inks UK distribution deals
- ASA rejects Haig Club ad complaints
- Diageo's United Spirits stays in red in YTD
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Consumer Trends and Key Consumer Targets in Alcoholic Beverages
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review