Blog: Will Russia ban bear fruit for Polish cider?
James Wilmore | 22 August 2014
Poland is hardly noted for its cider consumption, but all this could be about to change.
The reason? Russia's sanctions on European food imports. More than half of the apples produced (677,000 metric tons) in Poland go to Russia. But with the ban in place, growers are going to be left holding an awful lot of apples.
Aggrieved by the situation, the Polish press have come to the rescue by urging the country's population to eat more fruit and drink more cider, according to Bloomberg.
Like all good campaigns, Twitter is being utilised with the hashtags #jedzjablka and #eatapples proving popular.
It also marks a welcome change to Poland's attitude to cider after last month authorities banned C&C Group from having its Magners logo appear on the shirt of Celtic players during a football match in Warsaw.
Cider still only accounts for around 1% of all Poland's alcohol sales, according to Bloomberg. And even though the country’s cider production is predicted to grow five-fold to around 10m litres, according to the Polish Council of Winemaking, the demand won't offset the Russia loss.
Still, with all those extra apples being consumed, perhaps it will ensure a health boost for Poland's population.
Want to know how to make it to the top of the beverage business? According to Muhtar Kent, it's all about the networking....
A red sticker to a shopper is like a red rag to a bull. And as the masses charge at the deals, UK off licences and supermarkets are finding new and novel ways to entice the herd. ...
To celebrate its 250th anniversary, Cognac brand Hennessy is trumpeting a virtual time capsule, making a parallel between it and a barrel of Cognac....
United Breweries has extended its premium beer brand Kingfisher Ultra's portfolio by launching Kingfisher Ultra Max making it the most expensive strong beer (8% abv and above) in the country....
Rarely do sponsorship deals pay off so quickly. ...
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Hail Marie Brizard: But, For How Long?
- Analysis - Storm clouds lift over Diageo Towers
- 5 reasons why Constellation's Meiomi buy works
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research