Blog: Will Kestrel take flight with golfers?
Andy Morton | 10 April 2014
Most marketing campaigns have familiar goals - an increase in sales, wider consumer recognition.
Others, such as the latest from Scottish beer brand Kestral lager - seek to change the entire lexicon of one of the world's most popular and venerable sports.
The Kestrel Brewing Company, owned by former Wells & Young's MD Nigel McNally, is asking golfers to call a hole-in-one - when the ball finds the cup in one shot - a “kestrel”. The company claims this would dovetail nicely with golf's other bird-based terms such as birdie, eagle and albatross, while also raising awareness of dwindling kestrel numbers in the UK.
To achieve this, Kestrel will launch a campaign in 250 UK golf clubs. But while I laud the brewer's lofty aims, let's hope bigger beer makers don't get ideas about other popular sporting terms. Otherwise, come the World Cup in Brazil this year we may all be watching players scoring the winning Budweiser.
It seems even 250-year-old Cognac houses want to be like Google these days....
It's not even available on pre-order yet, but Apple's latest piece of kit has already got a breathalyser app....
just-drinks is now closed for the Easter weekend....
Last year was tough for The Coca-Cola Co. So staff in Atlanta won't be pleased to read that Pepsi has overtaken Diet Coke as the no. 2 soda brand in the US. ...
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- Diet Coke "a work in progress" in US - Coca-Cola
- Heineken seeks "clarity" in Indonesia
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Diageo's United Spirits calls on Mallya to quit
- Pernod Ricard unveils new Absolut bottle
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- Beam Suntory to strip down regional units
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets