Blog: Will Kestrel take flight with golfers?
Andy Morton | 10 April 2014
Most marketing campaigns have familiar goals - an increase in sales, wider consumer recognition.
Others, such as the latest from Scottish beer brand Kestral lager - seek to change the entire lexicon of one of the world's most popular and venerable sports.
The Kestrel Brewing Company, owned by former Wells & Young's MD Nigel McNally, is asking golfers to call a hole-in-one - when the ball finds the cup in one shot - a “kestrel”. The company claims this would dovetail nicely with golf's other bird-based terms such as birdie, eagle and albatross, while also raising awareness of dwindling kestrel numbers in the UK.
To achieve this, Kestrel will launch a campaign in 250 UK golf clubs. But while I laud the brewer's lofty aims, let's hope bigger beer makers don't get ideas about other popular sporting terms. Otherwise, come the World Cup in Brazil this year we may all be watching players scoring the winning Budweiser.
Earlier today, Diageo reported a lift in full-year net profits on flat sales and dipping volumes. Here just-drinks takes a look at the figures for each of the group's regions:...
It would appear that the folk at the UK arm of Carlsberg have this year found the 'gimmicky' drawer in the marketing office....
It's a popular grizzle and one I'll admit to having on at least one or two occasions… a day. Why do people post photos of their food and/or drink on to my social media feed?...
After a 2014 it'll want to forget, Treasury Wine Estates has some good news....
Today, Anheuser-Busch InBev reported a slight lift in half-year profits on disappointing sales and volumes. Here, just-drinks takes a look at the brewer's performance in its global markets:...
The garden shed is usually home to some spiders, a lawnmower and a few half-empty paint tins. ...
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research