Blog: Will Heineken's bid for at-home market - The Sub - hit the spot?
James Wilmore | 10 October 2014
Heineken has stepped up its focus on stay-at-home drinkers with the roll out of its latest 'draught beer at home' concept - The Sub - to its domestic market.
The Sub, which first launched in Italy and Spain late last year, was released in the Netherlands this week. The 16-inch device, created by famed Apple designer Marc Newson, can house a 2-litre keg of beer and is expected to roll out to more markets.
But brewers face a balancing act when its comes to this kind of innovation. The decline of the on-trade in many European countries has hit beer producers hard. Consumers who have invested in widescreen TVs for their homes and face smoking bans are feeling less inclined to venture out for a pint.
Launching beer dispenser units for the home could be seen as throwing in the towel on helping the ailing European on-trade. Heineken does however have its own estate of pubs in the UK, which it is spending GBP18m on upgrading, so this is far from the reality.
The last effort by Heineken to tap the stay at-home market - The BeerTender - appears to have fallen by the wayside. At least the machine is no longer available on Amazon, or through the Dutch brewer's US website.
Will The Sub, with the kudos of an Apple designer behind it, fare better?
In his latest commentary for just-drinks, former drinks analyst Ian Shackleton heads to Brazil to look at 3G's burned fingers, the future worries for Anheuser-Busch InBev and Britvic's samba moves....
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Has the politics of M&A changed? - Analysis
- IAADFS Duty Free Show of the Americas - Preview
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Baijius brand value overtakes whisk(e)y - figures
- Heineken releases colour-change bottles
- Diageo's Captain Morgan LocoNut - NPD
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research