Blog: Will "consequence-free" drink drive us out of a job?
Andy Morton | 12 November 2013
Professor David Nutt, a clever bod who used to advise the UK Government on addiction, claims he is close to discovering a chemical compound that replicates the feeling of drunkenness, but without the hangover.
So what does this mean? Is the alcohol industry about to collapse as everyone shuns beer, spirits and wine for these new, consequence free, super drinks?
As Nutt himself writes: “The challenge is to prepare the new drink in a fashion that makes it as tasty and appealing.” Which, reading between the lines, tells me his chemical compounds taste about as inviting as they sound. Certainly not a patch on a 12-year-old malt.
Another reason we're all still likely to keep our jobs is that there are other factors for why people choose to drink.
According to Ronald Siegel's book “Intoxication - Life in Pursuit of Artificial Paradise”, our desire to indulge is really an innate longing to alter our state of awareness. Siegal calls it the “fourth drive”, and puts it alongside food, sex and thirst as humankind's greatest and most basic motivators.
Though, of course, if, as Siegal says, all we desire from alcohol is the changed brain state that comes with it, then perhaps Nutt's chemical stand-ins are the perfect replacement. We scratch the itch, but we don't bleed, as it were.
In which case, we are all out of a job. And I'm in need of a stiff drink.
Alcohol always has a big presence at the Oscars, albeit mostly in a supporting role....
Business is booming at copper pot still makers Chalvignac - you can tell from the loud noise coming from its factory floor in the French town of Jarnac-Champagne. ...
Heineken is betting big on the long-term opportunity around soccer in the US. ...
California's Sierra Nevada Brewing Co is very proud of its new Hop Hunter IPA, which contains hop oil. ...
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- Mike’s Hard Lemonade Could Be a Hard Sell
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q4 & FY
- Focus - Suntory Holdings' FY Performance
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Suntory whiskey seeks to "eclipse" Diageo, Pernod
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Diageo adds Dubai to Johnnie Walker skyline series
- Asahi Beverages CEO to step down - report
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report